1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE: no mention of "skew" in specifications.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by o8, Apr 30, 2019.

1. o8

o8 New commenter

• Is there no requirement to use the term "skew" when describing or comparing distributions? The term doesn't show up when searching specifications for various exam boards - if it was removed, when did that happen?

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Never been in Edexcel GCSE. It disappeared from A Level in 2017 with the new syllabus, though students need to know that Normal is symmetric and Binomial isn't unless p is close to 1/2.

3. rich_m

rich_m New commenter

As adam has stated, it isn't in the maths specification, never has been.

It does feature in the statistics GCSE content, both identifying it by inspection for histograms & box plots, and by calculation using the given formula.

slstrong123 likes this.
  4. o8

o8 New commenter

Thanks for the replies - I think it must have been in the AO level I was teaching 2008-9 as I have a resource dating back to that time but all my teaching materials from that data are on an old laptop that I haven't got a working power adapter for - probably easier to take the drive out and shove it another machine to get at all my old lesson plans, objectoives, SoW, etc. I just wondered if it had been in recent GCSE specs but had been stripped out. Glad I asked.