1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Music Edexcel Section B in Exam

Discussion in 'Music' started by emsiwemsy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. I am trying to prepare my Y11's for Section B of the written paper, I am also going to be observed as part of my performance management on this lesson! Does anyone have any ideas/resources that would help?

2. musicismyreligion

musicismyreligion New commenter

I wrote an exemplar essay on Schoenberg for Section B. If you PM me your email address I could send it to you. I think it's at least in the top box for marks [​IMG]

3. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

I would start by checking they know what all the elements mean that they are likely to be asked to describe - texture, structure etc. Because we generally teach these in KS3 its easy to assume they are all familiar but you might be surprised!
    Then I would pick one work to focus on. Choose say four elements and then listen to an extract from it - students make notes under each element heading. You could give low ability kids a list of musical features (syncopation, 12-bar blues chord pattern, pizzicato strings etc) and they could decide which ones can be heard and put them under the correct heading. Compare answers as a class - make sure they all take notes they can use for revision. Get them to write it up for HW in an essay form.
    You could try a comparison task as well if you have time.

4. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

I have a simple grid that I use for pupils to make notes on each set work. They have been filling it in after we have studied each work and make notes on each element of music e.g. melody, harmony, texture, rhythm etc.
    Let me know if you want a copy.

5. I realise you posted this over two years ago but if you are still in the trade I too would appreciate this for my observation this coming week. Thank you

6. In pairs I give them an element (different ones for different pairs) then they have an allotted time which they have to write as much as they know about that element in the given Set Work - I use bullet points. They then sway with another group and have a different element and do the same - we then compile the information they have found as a class.

Another task I use is to get them to do an essay question individually - I get them to write the essay in bullet points under the headings given (this is perfectly acceptable for the exam as well) - I then give them an exemplar essay and they mark theirs based on the exemplar - seeing what points they've got right, but also what they missed out. Can work well!