1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Media Studies

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by DalekTeacher, Dec 22, 2011.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hello,
    I am currently taking a Year Eleven group through. They completed their coursework in Year Ten, and we are just completing the smallest coursework piece. We are doing the AQA Specification and it is the single award.
    I have started to see signs of my higher ability pupils getting fed up of coursework. One lesson we have in an ICT room a week and the other is in a normal classroom.
    As their exam is on Crime Drama this year, I was going to use the one lesson after Christmas to start introducing Crime Drama and the other lesson for coursework when we have access to the technology. I thought then they would at least be much more productive.
    Do you think this would work?
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

2. DalekTeacher

Hello,
    I am currently taking a Year Eleven group through. They completed their coursework in Year Ten, and we are just completing the smallest coursework piece. We are doing the AQA Specification and it is the single award.
    I have started to see signs of my higher ability pupils getting fed up of coursework. One lesson we have in an ICT room a week and the other is in a normal classroom.
    As their exam is on Crime Drama this year, I was going to use the one lesson after Christmas to start introducing Crime Drama and the other lesson for coursework when we have access to the technology. I thought then they would at least be much more productive.
    Do you think this would work?
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hi DalekTeacher

'They completed their coursework in Year Ten, and we are just completing the smallest coursework piece. '
    Do you mean they are re-doing/finishing assignment ONE? I think the idea of doing TV Crime drama on your non- IT lesson is a great idea but after a whole year of plodding through coursework I imagine it is getting a little tedious for them (and you!)
    Assignment one is intended as an introduction and is worth just 15 marks so I wouldn't go mad at this stage. The higher ability students in my class polished this off very quickly and I had to feed them with loads of extension tasks! Perhaps you could get them to each do some research on a TV Crime Drama- give them a character/show- and ask them to present this to the class? If you time this right, they could prepare the presentations in time for when the rest of the class finish their CW? Mmmm... might do this myself come to think of it!
    Liz

4. DalekTeacher

We have done all of the coursework except the comic one which is worth the least amount of marks, according to the markscheme. My higher ability pupils are really fed up and I can tell. I've given them loads of extension tasks as well and they just zoom through them.
    I thought by doing the crime section would be a good use of the time and in the IT room, I am going to use the idea you suggested about getting the higher ability pupils to prepare presentations to deliver to the rest of the class.
    Do you think there will be plenty of time to improve any work that is not up to target grade? My higher ability pupils are fine, its the ones who are C/D border, who are my main concern.
    Thank you for your help with this.

5. lizgaskell

Hi there
    The C/D ones are always the concern aren't they? I have years 9, 10 and 11 and they are VERY mixed ability (targets are F-A*) and some of the lower ability admited to me that they chose Media bacuae they 'thought it would be easy.'
    Have you thought about offering say 3 or 4 after school 'catchup ' sessions for the ones you are worried about? If you can get an IT suite for one night a week, for say 4 weeks, i bet you could get those half a dozen to focus better and give them a bit more help. Just a thought but this year I did perfume/aftershave printed ads for the first time. It has had a good response. You might be able to get more out of them if they are not just going over the old stuff but actually tackle a different project? You could;
    • Find an interesting advert and annotate it yourself and get them to mark it.
    • Give them a choice of around 6 - other wise they might just spend an hour finding one in my experience- and ask them to do the same
    • They only need 500 words but this means they could do two?
    • Get them to deisign their own- can be hand drawn of is they can us PShop can have some fun putting each others faces onto glamourous bodies
    I reckon, with a bit of luck, you might manage this in four hours. I have been given 4 new students who missed this piece and plan to write home and insist they come to my sessions which will pretty much be as above.
    BTW, as I said, it is a small piece and I would , at this satge, rather they get even 5/6 out of 15 than nothing! Lots of marks to pick up in the exam (I REALLY have to get my head round this one!- soon)

Good luck, happy to help
    Liz

6. DalekTeacher

Hi,
    Thank you again. I am glad that I am not on my own with this. After Christmas, I am going to have a good discussion with them about the state of play with their coursework folders and am going to phone home to parents whose folders I am not happy with and need to improve. There are some who are targetted a C but will get above that in their coursework as they have really put a lot of work into the two major pieces.
    I am also going to do what you mentioned about making them come afterschool to do a coursework catch-up sessions. I have created a spreadsheet with all of their marks on earlier, and am going to put it up in my classroom, for all of my GCSE and A-level classes just to highlight the significance of their marks.
    Are you looking forward to teaching the exam for Crime? I have started to do some research and reading around it ready.
    I have also had similar conversations with some of the lower ability pupils who said to me that they presumed that Media Studies would be about watching films every lesson. They have had a huge shock with me about that, as I rarely let them see any.
    Thank you again,
    Dalekteacher.

7. lizgaskell

Hi
    Sounds like a good plan.
    No, I am not looking forward to it -yet. Som eof the exam topics have been right up my street (Action Adventure for example) but I just don't watch enough fo this type of telly! I am an English teacher too and have a MASSIVE amount of marking and find it really hard to watch anything that requires regular watching! Bloomin' Reality Tv was not as bad somehow ...
    What I need to do is get working on it I suppose.
    As for the percieved content of Media Studies I had to laugh when mine Media students were still working away on their magazines on the last day of term when loads of other classes- even Geography- were watching films! Even my Film Studies group didn't watch a film!! LOL
    Liz
    Let me know if I can help any more.