1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Media - key theories and technical terms?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by swallowtail, Sep 11, 2008.

1. I wonder if it's possible to start a list of the key theorists/terms our students should be aware of? As a newcomer to the subject, I worry constantly that I'm not being technical enough with my students. A list of possible relevant theories/terms would really help me. For example, when we did sitcoms we looked at Uses and Gratifications, and for newspapers we covered Galtang and Ruge. Can anyone suggest any more relevant to these areas, or to pop music (I'm struggling here!) or just in general? Or point me in the direction of websites that offer such a list? I'm sure I'm not the only newbie who feels his/her technical vocab is a bit lacking...

2. I wonder if it's possible to start a list of the key theorists/terms our students should be aware of? As a newcomer to the subject, I worry constantly that I'm not being technical enough with my students. A list of possible relevant theories/terms would really help me. For example, when we did sitcoms we looked at Uses and Gratifications, and for newspapers we covered Galtang and Ruge. Can anyone suggest any more relevant to these areas, or to pop music (I'm struggling here!) or just in general? Or point me in the direction of websites that offer such a list? I'm sure I'm not the only newbie who feels his/her technical vocab is a bit lacking...

3. I've got a slide show on this kind of thing. It was exam prep for 'A' level students, but many of the technical terms can be used at GCSE too.....

http://www.slideshare.net/mcmrbt/media-glossary ......

It's a PDF file - I'll enable downloading for a short time.

4. That looks great. Have you removed the option to download as I would have loved a copy as well. I'll have to see if I can show it at school on that site.