1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by leomichaelb, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,

I need to re-sit GCSE Maths in order to teach and achieve the grading necessary for my to pursue my career path as a teacher. Can anyone advise or give me some information on how I can go about re-sitting maths. Ideally I'd prefer to revise myself and be self directed rather than doing an expensive course or online module.

Can I simply re-take the paper?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

2. Yes if you can find a centre willing to let you sit as an external candidate

Best suggestion is to find a centre (local post 16 college) that says yes, find out which board they do,
    contact the board to enter, download the syllabus etc

3. DM

DM New commenter

Many high schools will allow external candidates too. The next sitting is November 2011.

4. DM

DM New commenter

I meant to put secondary schools not high schols.

5. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I would still recommend that you find a local school/college which is offering a twilight course. If you didn't get your GCSE first time, working alone might be tough. Additionally, by doing this you should be able to get your hands on one of these little fellers http://www.mathswatch.co.uk/# which are only sold to schools and are well worth the incredibly low purchase price.

6. I would agree if the person requires a higher paper but IMO any logical humand should be able to get 75-80% on an Edexcel foundation paper either straight off or after a weekend of basic reading.
    I personally feel that anyone being emplyed as a teacher should be expected to be at this level...heck its easier than the QTS numeracy test.
    For the OP, look on edexcels website to find your local centre and speak nicely to them.
    Todays paper will be up on the student room forum within a day to give you some idea just how basic this paper now is.

7. Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks very much for the information! I'll contact some local schools and sit the exam with them if it's possible.

I would like to add that I am a mature student and currently studying for a degree (Bsc Hons), for which I'm currently averaging very good grades. It's just that at school I had some personal issues and didn't attend some subjects - obviously maths! :)

Anyway, I don't think I'll need to attend full evening classes or a college to be able to pass the required C standard - I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I'm happy studying myself and to be self-directed.

Any other information would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

8. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

If you can do this year 7 work then you are well on the way to covering the gcse foundation syllabus.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/book7/book7int.htm

9. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Forgot to say ignore unit 1

10. Thanks this is great!

:)

11. Sure, but the cost a CRB is a bit excessive

12. DM

DM New commenter

What are you on about RF! Don't be daft.

13. What are you on about?
    It was decided some time ago in our school (authority directive I think) that people who wanted to sit exams as externals had to have a CRB

How could that possibly be daft?

14. DM

DM New commenter

Madness! We have external candidates all the time.
    At what point could these candidates obtain unsupervised access to children? Or does your authority operate a Tesco self-service checkout approach to exam invigilation too?

15. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Not as daft as it sounds! Had similar issues when arranging for adults to do the adult numeracy test. It never occured to me that it would be an issue. Did them after school with adults supervised at all times so no contact with pupils. This was deemed ok.

16. DM

DM New commenter

Never thought I would say this but the sooner we are all academies the better if local authorities think this is a necessary and sensible course of action.