1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE maths - reducing exams to two papers?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by s4rah77, Sep 11, 2019.

1. s4rah77

s4rah77 New commenter

Hi, Year 11 niece has come home from school and mentioned something about in summer 2020 there will only be two maths papers not three (she'll be sitting foundation OCR). Has she got the wrong end of the stick? I've had a quick look online and can't find anything about it. Thanks

2. pi r squared

pi r squared New commenter

Nope - still three, I'm afraid.

3. camillapt

camillapt New commenter

Is she doing the iGCSE - those only have two papers?

4. s4rah77

s4rah77 New commenter

I'll get her to ask if they're changing over to IGCSE, is that not something that they would have discussed with parents?

5. DM

DM New commenter

6. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I know Eduqas is the name for the Welsh board offering qualifications in England. Surely they have to follow the same rules as the other boards for exams in England. Does this mean there was no actual requirement for the other exam boards to go to 3 exams?

7. DM

DM New commenter

There's a minimum examination time. The Educas papers are longer. Other Awarding Bodies chose to have three shorter papers.

8. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Thank you

9. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

(Just to clarify on terminology - "exam boards" came to an end in 2001. Since then we've had awarding bodies.)