1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Maths & English for full time students query.

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by daftpunk1, Oct 20, 2015.

1. daftpunk1

daftpunk1 New commenter

Hi,

At the moment our enrollment policy for full time students is that anyone with a level 1 in functional skills now needs to do GCSE Maths and English.

Is this the correct interpretation of the rules that anyone with a D or Equivalent qualification now fall into this category?

There is a huge difference in ability between a L1 functional skills exam and a GCSE at D.

I am concerned that results are going to go down significantly this year.

2. petrichor89

petrichor89 New commenter

Yes that's correct - anyone without a Level 2 'C' grade (so GCSE or equivalent) in English Language/English (as opposed to English Literature) or Maths needs to resit them until they either achieve a 'C' grade or turn 19. I'm not sure how that might work at FE level in terms of teaching and results as I'm in Secondary but thought I'd try and help if only a little!

3. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

That is correct. Has been in transition for a couple of years now.
    Don't worry about your results going down - Everybody's results will be going down. I have never encountered so many badly behaved, disruptive students as those that we have this year. Not to mention learning difficulties. We have been set totally unrealistic targets, we are teaching up to 30 students in a class, no learning support (can't afford it) and teachers are already talking about leaving.

daftpunk1 likes this.
  4. blueskiesmev

blueskiesmev New commenter

Not quite true as far as I know. Anyone with a D does have to do GCSE but FS L1 don't have to. They are not at our place anyway. We are doing an intermediary course for them.

daftpunk1 likes this.
  5. daftpunk1

daftpunk1 New commenter

Hi blueskiesmev

Thanks for replying.

What is the intermediary course?

6. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

If they have a c in any English, inc literature, they do not have to do gcse English. If they have achieved l1 orL2 English or maths, they have to do gcse. The fs level 2 is classed as a stepping stone qualification so if an 18 yr old comes in with FS L2 they have to do GCSE. The fact they are very dyslexic and got a u at school and getting that L1 was a monumental achievement and they haven't got a hope of passing their exam is irrelevant. That it completely stresses them out and they end up with CAMHS is besides the point. That Fe tutors are expected to achieve in 10 months with disengaged kids what 11 years in school failed to achieve seems to be ignored.

doshdummy likes this.
  7. blueskiesmev

blueskiesmev New commenter

We are using the level 1 and level 2 award in number and measure.