1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Materials for IGCSE Course?

Discussion in 'English' started by d_carroll2, Jan 4, 2020.

1. d_carroll2

d_carroll2 New commenter

We recently had a teacher leave mid-semester and now I've had to pick up the reins and start teaching his IGCSE classes. I've always avoided IGCSE but I no longer have that ootion, Lol. Anyways, half of the class has transferred in from non-English speaking schools and I am teaching English as a First Language. I'm okay with that, but the students are going to need some support materials. I found a couple of decent books that have grammar, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing activities in them (publisher is in Singapore), but I later realized that these are for supporting the GCSE English exam. My question is since the IGCSE and GCSE are both O-Level would it be okay to use these GCSE support materials for my IGCSE students? Of course I will still be teaching from the IGCSE CIE approved student book, but for extra English support materials (especially for my weaker students), would this be okay?

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

No idea. I've never used a text book for either GCSE or iGCSE. However, as long as the activities in the textbook address the issues that the students present with their English and help them develop the skills they need for the iGCSE, then of cousre it would be fine.

BTW, you've presumably clocked that it's a brand new exam for CIE this year? However, Question 1 on the old paper is basically the same as Question 3 on the new, while the old style Question 2 has been tweaked slightly and turned into Question 2d. So there will still be some value in using past papers.

d_carroll2 likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Speak to your hod/line manager.

Look at the CIE website and get a password as the rules can be quite stringent. If there is a Cwk /Speaking element you may need a CIE external examiner. You will certainly need to go through their latest Spec with a fine tooth combe and request written details of what has been covered by the leaving teacher. Do you have an internal moderation process and who is your lead CIE checker (if still required) ?

The CIE website does have schemes and suggested supported materials. YouTube is also useful here sometimes if you search the Component CIE codes.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  4. d_carroll2

d_carroll2 New commenter

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be looking at the past papers and now more specifically those two questions. I also realized that English Literature is now Literature in English 0475. I've decided to go with the poems from Songs of Ourselves: Volume 2 as there seems to be more support materials online for it, and it seemed to be used quite a bit more for A-Levels so I thought that may be beneficial to students. I'll be focusing on the second set of 15 poems mentioned in the syllabus.

I'm also the type of teacher that doesn't usually rely so heavily on the textbooks at times (especially when students need more basic support that isn't in the textbook), but coming into two classes mid-stream to find the students lost and behind I'd rather have the extra support from textbooks so I can be absolutely sure I'm leading my students in the right direction for their IGCSE exams. One of my students has A2 English level capabilities, so I'm really going to need a structured approach for these types of students in the class.

An amazing thing, there's a school that teaches all IGCSE subjects in Farsi and somehow students are still able to pass, yet most cannot even speak English. I once had a Chinese student that tested in the C1 range but she could barely speak. To me it seems a lot of time is put in to pass a test yet the most important skills are never learned this way, such a shame.

5. install

install Star commenter

Good point.

The igcses are easier than gcses. They are still allowed in private schools but not state schools.

6. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Use whatever resources will stop you burning out and - as mentioned - know the syllabus inside out.
    Wishing you luck and resilience. You've certainly got a challenge but sounds like you're on it!