1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Lit in Y10, Lang in Y11

Discussion in 'English' started by tiredbuthopeful, Mar 18, 2018.

1. tiredbuthopeful

tiredbuthopeful New commenter

Hi there,

I'm a HOD and my SLT have approached me about doing Lit in Y10, including the exams and Lang in Y11. Does anyone know if this is allowed? If so, does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

You would need to start Lit in Year 9. Perhaps even earlier!!
    Have you considered doing Lang in year 10 instead? Given that 6 year olds are now expected to be able to recognize a metaphor this may be a more acceptable option.:eek:
    Which students are supposed to benefit from this idea? the most able? the least able?
    I have no idea whether this is allowed or not but I do believe that students have to cram too many exams into the GCSE period. Anything to alleviate the angst would be a good idea.
    My latest brainwave is that Summer babies/children should have the option to take their GCSEs in November. Many of them are only 15 when they are expected to take about 20 exams. Alternatively they could stagger their exams between June and November. This would be especially beneficial now that everyone is expected to stay in education until they are 18.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I wouldn't do Lit in Year 10. Most students just wouldn't be ready.
    And I am very curious as to what the idea behind doing so would be...

pepper5 and install like this.
  4. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

I have known schools that teach Lang in year 10 and Lit in year 11 - which is surely more logical? They still take both lots of exams in year 11.

5. install

install Star commenter

I have a mate who did this some years ago- only to find out that other subjects were not expected to do the same.

Once they got the grades in year 10 for Lit, those students were then taken out more for other subjects. And the dept got told off by Ofsted for entering students early...

Some staff left the dept due to added pressure of trying to get even more students through exams from different year groups. Some students complained that they should have a proper chance at the end of yr11 to do all their exams and to repeat.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    saluki likes this.
  6. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

It is allowed (and counts in league tables)...

...but is actively discouraged.

I certainly don’t think it’s a good idea. Nor does the research on early entry.

install likes this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Would it be good for the pupils or good for the school?

Definitely not the first.

Bumptious, pepper5 and install like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Some regard it as 'playing the system' - and 'gaming the system'. It is, as already said, usually for the school - putting school league table results before student results. Pressure is sadly put on some depts to do early entry over others.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    pepper5 likes this.