1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE LAW 2012

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by Menaz, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Im teaching GCSE LAW (AQA) for the first time in Sept 2012. Im really overwhelmed at the moment as to the content that has to be covered in 1 year! (the spec offers a scheme of work as a guide but that is over 2 years).
    Does anyone out there have a realistic scheme of work for one year?
    Which topics to choose- im thinking Criminal and Tort for Unit 2, but family looks interesting?
    Which textbook to use- i have GCSE Law by J.Martin 5th addition- any other recommendations?
    Any general advice and tips etc.
    I would be grateful for any help!

2. Im teaching GCSE LAW (AQA) for the first time in Sept 2012. Im really overwhelmed at the moment as to the content that has to be covered in 1 year! (the spec offers a scheme of work as a guide but that is over 2 years).
    Does anyone out there have a realistic scheme of work for one year?
    Which topics to choose- im thinking Criminal and Tort for Unit 2, but family looks interesting?
    Which textbook to use- i have GCSE Law by J.Martin 5th addition- any other recommendations?
    Any general advice and tips etc.
    I would be grateful for any help!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Hi,
    The scheme of work is based on 2 hours a week, so you could use it as a starting point. To be honest though, I didn't find it very thorough: there's lots of content missing etc, so you would be best to use it as to start with , but keep referring to old papers and the additional resources in the teaching area.
    Again, the J. Martin book isn't too bad, but doesn't have enough detail - it covers some areas quite well and others quite poorly, but you often don't realise this until it's too late. Hence , keep an eye on the subject content and old papers and 'fill in the gaps' yourself as you go along , where not covered by the book.
    I was really looking forward to attending an AQA cpd course for this exam, but unfortunately it's been cancelled!! My only hope now is to join with some schools in the area also requiring CPD and pay AQA to send one of their consultants up! (its about 500 for the day,but split between a second/third school could be doable).Anyone based in the W. Midlands who also wants to attend this CPD course? Feel free to pm me, thanks

4. I'd recommend the Martin book as it is quite comprehensive - I think the Jones and Page should be reserved for later in the course if you are going to recommend it to your students since it serves more as a revision text rather than a base textbook. Although all grounds are covered here in terms of subject content, it seems a push to teach the more complex topics of law to youngsters with no previous knowledge and sometimes little appreciation on the basis of a two-page summary as is provided in this text. That's not to say that it isn't a great book though - I use it as a teaching guide and provide my students with the main information on slides or revision sheets but use Martin as a base text. I come from a legal background and have taught this course for 6 years. I have therefore experienced both old and new specs - needless to say, it is a far better course now than before and much easier to make it enjoyable for the kids.

5. Hi I've just finished teaching the AQA Spec in a Year, It's very tough but do-able. You'll have to be quite consise with what you teach and if it means cutting out smaller topics, then be honest with which ones are the big mark getters. Realistically topics such as Barristers and Solicitors, Magistrates and Jurors and Civil and Criminal Courts make up the big Q 9 or Q10 essay questions on unit 1, whereas the other topics can be covered much quicker.

For Unit 2 I did Criminal and Family, just because Criminal is on all the A-Level specs so its a basic and Family because its different and its by far the quickesty module to teach.

Hope this helps. If you want any resources please let me know I have loads

6. Is anyone up for creating a resource bank for this GCSE? I have created a revision guide for unit 1 based on the Jones and Page book if anybody would like it. Just some activities pupils can do at home. I think it is about 40 pages.

7. I have resources for the OCR spec been teaching for a couple of years now but am going to swap to AQA as fewer exams than OCR I would happily put up/swap resources if you could set up a resource bank somewhere. I will be dedicating the summer to update my resources etc. Please let me know as it is really needed there is hardly anything online to aid with GCSE law revision and materials other than get revising, law exchange/

8. Hi,

I'm teaching GCSE law for the first time. I appreciate that this is quite an old post but if you have any resources for the course and in particular family law that I could utilise then I would be most grateful. I too have opted for the Criminal and Family combination.

Many thanks

9. HI

I read your post and wondered if you could send me any of your resources on family law for GCSE. I have just started to teach this course and unit. I have lots of resources for A level I will be happy to exchange.

Cheers

10. Hi all, I have just been told i am delivering this for September in one year! EEK! If anyone would be kind enough to share resources I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Karen