1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE - is it true?

Discussion in 'English' started by anteater, Aug 18, 2011.

1. anteater

anteater New commenter

Today when I was looking on the aqa site for A level results, I saw a small notice that said:

<h2>Exams at the end of the course for GCSE</h2>
    The Government has announced that for two-year GCSE courses starting in Sept 2012 the exams will be sat at the end of the course.
    Read frequently asked questions, which include how these changes will affect students starting a three-year course in Year 9 in September 2011.

It was dated 21st July.
    Am I alone in not having heard about this previously? Our current Y10 into 11 will be taking the English exam in Jan with a chance to resit in June, but it seems this is not now an option for the current Y9 into 10 cohort. That will mean changes are being made before we've even had chance to bed in the new spec..oh dear...

2. It'll affect the kids who are going to be in yr 9 this year so by the time they start GCSE in a year's time by which time the whole lang/lit course will have been taught.

3. anteater

anteater New commenter

Oops, yes, you're right, dylan - I was a year ahead of myself. Still means that we'll only have two cohorts doing the modular course before we have to change tack again, though - not really long enough to see if it works etc.
    And announcing it one day before the end of term isn't wonderful timing. I only found it by accident.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You don't read/watch the news? Was widely reported on at the time (back in June).
    Also, your Head should surely have mentioned it in a staff briefing.
    Is it really the role of the exam board to personally inform you of changes to Government policy?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13922439

5. There's always a 're-sit' opportunity built in. If this is still going to be the case, then, you enter your Y11 in January for the whole course and re-enter them in June. The beauty of the modular course was the fact that you only cashed-in everything at the end, rather than having to enter everything twice. With the old Spec, we entered everyone in November and then re-entered those who needed it in June. Coursework was just re-submitted. So, entering students early is still possible.

6. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Does anyone know if this means that all Controlled Assessments will have to be submitted at the end of the course. Or is the plan to do away with Controlled Assessment altogether and ONLY have a handful of Non Fiction and Fiction Exams?
    I am so frustrated with this! Our department just planned changes to our KS3 curriculum assessments to try to better prepare students for the modular systems and Controlled Asses and now we don't really know what to do to prepare them.
    Sigh. Can't keep up.

7. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

No CAs from Sept 2012

8. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Is this confirmed, gruoch? Do you have a link? Everything I've read has been vague about the future of CAs.

9. gruoch

gruoch New commenter