1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by AG99, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I know this topics been done many times but I would appreciate some advice.
    We currently teach DIDA at year 9 and then there is the option to drop the course when pupils begin year 10. That way - they will have at least an appropriate ICT gcse equivalent award when they leave school at the end of year 10. (Everything is done a year early at my school)
    The head wants to move away from DIDA and wants to start something new. Any recommendations on what are the best courses? The system will still be the same where pupils will start the gcse in year 9 and can drop the course at the end of the year. Ideally - the pupils who will continue will gain a double award.
    Thanks in advance

2. Hi everyone,
    I know this topics been done many times but I would appreciate some advice.
    We currently teach DIDA at year 9 and then there is the option to drop the course when pupils begin year 10. That way - they will have at least an appropriate ICT gcse equivalent award when they leave school at the end of year 10. (Everything is done a year early at my school)
    The head wants to move away from DIDA and wants to start something new. Any recommendations on what are the best courses? The system will still be the same where pupils will start the gcse in year 9 and can drop the course at the end of the year. Ideally - the pupils who will continue will gain a double award.
    Thanks in advance

3. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

We're in a similar situation (I made a similar thread which has moved onto the wilderness of Page 2...) at my school. I've looked at AQA, OCR, Edexcel and WJEC and Edexcel look to be the best from a review of the controlled assessment and past papers. Seems more up-to-date, more engaging and interesting, and a more accurate representation of what ICT actually is.

4. Choose CCEA if you want...
    Constantly changing specifications;
    An endorsed GCSE book, written by senior examiners, that is riddled with basic mistakes.

GCSE Computing is the way to go imho. Failing that, I need to change board. For my own sanity.

5. We're doing WJEC ICT at the moment. Halfway through second year of GCSE. Initial findings:

<h4>Coursework is badly planned</h4>
    • Mark schemes, student guidance and teacher guidance did not match up for the first Controlled Assesment.
    • The first Controlled Assessment was very specific in what to do for the database task yet very vague as to what to do for the spreadsheet task.
    • The second Controlled Assessment is incredibly vague. It is hard enough for experienced teachers to interpret the coursework, let alone students.
    • The second Controlled Assessment expects them to complete tasks for the mark scheme that aren't mentioned in the task sheet.
    • The second Controlled Assessment expects students to somehow organise themselves (as a group of students) into completing feedback for each other's work.
    <h4>Lots to cover for exams</h4>
    We have gone through the first exam unit so far. There was a huge amount of stuff to cover - we only just finished it about 1-2 weeks before the exam last June (thankfully the exam was late in exam season.

I expect the second exam unit will also have a huge amount to cover as well.
    <h4>Good support</h4>
    Whilst the course is not planned out well, whenever we have had questions or concerns the people at WJEC have always got back to us quickly and with very helpful answers. They have explained things well and given us guidance in terms of new resources and how to complete tasks. So full marks for support!