1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE ICT - Expert advice required!!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by apmcarthur, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Hello all,

I'll start by wishing any readers a happy new year!

I have recently become Head of ICT at my school and I'm thinking about reintroducing GCSE ICT.

At the moment we deliver OCR Level 2 and DIDA but I'm keen to make the change.

Does anyone have any advice for me as to what exam board I should look at? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Antony

2. Hello all,

I'll start by wishing any readers a happy new year!

I have recently become Head of ICT at my school and I'm thinking about reintroducing GCSE ICT.

At the moment we deliver OCR Level 2 and DIDA but I'm keen to make the change.

Does anyone have any advice for me as to what exam board I should look at? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Antony

3. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Ha ha, already!

Not OCR!

If I was you i'd hold fire. ICT does not look to have a great deal of mileage

4. I'd have to agree. Wait until the exam boards have fiddled around before making any decisions

5. What do you mean?

You think studying ICT will die?

Or do you mean studying computing will die?

6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Why do you have to switch to a GCSE why don't you just stick with the courses that you know. Let's face it they may rebrand them slightly and jiggle the content around a bit but the Cambridge Nationals that I see on their way seem pretty similar to the old Nationals with an exam chucked on top.
    I have been on here a very long time now and have seen a multitude of threads about people who have switched to new specs and seen their world come crashing down. Its taken me 3 years to get my head around the A level spec for example, I would be dumb to switch to something else now purely because I was not keen on certain parts of it.

7. This is excellent advice -You seem like a realist also and I like realist opinions.

So with the curriculum changing - will ICT/computing teachers still have jobs in 5 years?

8. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

As for these ar$es predicting ICT would die, well that's clearly not the case. I seemed to be pretty much a lone voice on here months back when all the doom merchants were predicting the death of the subject. There will be ICT courses, there will be computing courses, there will be ICT courses that allow a bit of computing too. Choose your weapon, they willl all be around for a long time to come yet.

9. There are pros and cons whatever you choose. I have been happy with AQA ICT for many years now. I hear horror stories from others about AQA. Less than 25% of England and Wales Secondary Schools offer GCSE ICT (728 out of more than 3200). The Colleges we feed make it clear they are not interested in the other courses and urge me to stick to GCSE. For some students Schools may feel DIDA/OCR Nats are more appropriate. They are at the CHalkface (IWB Face then). However, many Heads have pressurised HOD's to select DIDA/CR etc not for the benefit of the children but the benefit of the League Table - SHame on those Headteachers they are disgusting. We offer courses for the benefit of students.
    If I can help contact me