1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE ICT curriculum reform

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by kmarriott1984, Mar 4, 2016.

1. kmarriott1984

kmarriott1984 New commenter

Hi,

I'm hoping someone could give some advice as am in a limbo as to which computer science course to implement to our school for the governments curriculum reform. I would like to know what the pros and cons are to the ones that are currently out there.

We currently offer the WJEC GCSE ICT so the obvious course to move to is WJEC GSCE Computer Science. The alternative I have looked at are EdExcel and OCR.

What are peoples thoughts?

2. paullong

paullong New commenter

The AQA GCSE CS is the most clearly defined one out there with well structured question papers and a very clear syllabus.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Hope to help, Paul

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2016
  3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I have no particular affiliation with them, but OCR told me that they have 85% of the market and are the only board that produces resources for their course - there's certainly a reasonable amount of stuff available on their web-site.

The different boards all seem to be fairly similar in terms of theory content, so presumably the key differentiator is the non-examined element?

4. paullong

paullong New commenter

OCR produce resources for their CURRENT course. They may have 85% of the CURRENT market for A*-G GCSEs, but not for the new GCSEs starting in September 2016 (9-1). Incidentally, you don't need to move until September 2017 which would give you time to watch the market and see what happens.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

As they initiated the courses, OCR have the longest experience of offering them.

6. paullong

paullong New commenter

They also have the longest experience of making a mess of it which isn't surprising after OCR Nationals and their GCSE ICT that was always a nightmare. Same old staff, same old problems.

7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But Paul, you don't like OCT do you, but wasn't there a time when you worked for them?

8. paullong

paullong New commenter

Sorry, who are you Wanet? I've worked for a variety of exam boards.

9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

They're updating them for the new course, too - I've seen some of them. However, it doesn't really strike me that the theory has changed much - they're just being more explicit and mentioning things that I would always teach anyway.

10. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

As long as you avoid AQA, you'll be fine. Dreadful experiences with this board,
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    , well, the less said about the help on offer the better. Eduqas is the one I would go for.

11. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

My only concern with Eduqas is that the spec is about 50% longer than the others because of how much emphasis is put on that Greenfoot task. They were the ones I liked the look of the most initially but two different controlled assessments (because the Greenfoot one, while called an 'exam', is basically controlled assessment) is a long slog. I'm actually quite looking forward to doing more teaching and less bloody controlled assessment/coursework admin!

12. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I would disagree with the Nationals I actually like them even though the marking can be a bit odd at times. At least they are interesting and give all pupils a chance to at least gain a grade of some description. Before people say it yes it was open to less rigour by some teachers but then that is the same for all qualifications - I have seen some complete disasters from all examination boards and for all courses. Overall I think OCR do an okay job!