1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE ICT/Computing and home teaching

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by evilpixie, Jan 20, 2011.

1. My lad and I have just come back from his yr9 options evening to find that Computing is not being offered any more.
    He's not too pleased.
    I was wondering is it possible to home teacher ICT or computing? (I'm doing a PGCE secondary ICT)
    If so how would you go about doing the exam?

Advice welcome

Kim

2. My lad and I have just come back from his yr9 options evening to find that Computing is not being offered any more.
    He's not too pleased.
    I was wondering is it possible to home teacher ICT or computing? (I'm doing a PGCE secondary ICT)
    If so how would you go about doing the exam?

Advice welcome

Kim

3. ICT and (I strongly suspect) Computing are very rarely open to private candidates. I've put a student through iMedia but you would have to check with OCR to see about Computing. My strong suspicion is no though.

4. Thanks,
    it's the only school in our catchment area too
    Kim

5. With the iGCSE you can usually do a theory alternative to the coursework, but as no such alternative exists with GCSE computing, the exam board would not accept the controlled task elements unless they were supervised by a member of staff at the school. That is my understanding - I had the same problem with a student who wanted to do computing 'off-timetable' he could not arrange time for the controlled tasks. Btw, the OCR pilot, GCSE Computing is not the same as iGCSE Computer Science. The former is much more akin to the A level spec, whereas the Computer Science courses veer towards ICT.

6. The best programmers (computer games) I know taught themselves and got invoved in the programming communitites at an early age. This them lead them to do some sort of ICT or Computing at A Level, then uni. There are a lot of resources out there however why not look at the Unreal UDK (free) which some of my students do at home or take a leaf out the American 14 year olds book and go to the library and get an iPhone development book.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12224670