1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE History without coursework - any suggestions please

Discussion in 'History' started by stanleycoten, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I have just stated a new post.
    My school has had problems with internal assessment marks so I have decided to think about a 100% examination course. I have heard about IGCSE, are they what I ought to be looking at? I don't want a spec which covers an enomrous time period. I think its too much for the students and they would not get such a lot our of it.
    Am I on the right lines - currently they are doing Edexcel B but we are considering halting that option. They had issues with a question on last years' exam paper - very, very litle about it in their recommennded text book for the course.
    Failing that anyone suggest a good course with Assesments.
    Help any one please
    Thanks

Stanley

2. I have just stated a new post.
    My school has had problems with internal assessment marks so I have decided to think about a 100% examination course. I have heard about IGCSE, are they what I ought to be looking at? I don't want a spec which covers an enomrous time period. I think its too much for the students and they would not get such a lot our of it.
    Am I on the right lines - currently they are doing Edexcel B but we are considering halting that option. They had issues with a question on last years' exam paper - very, very litle about it in their recommennded text book for the course.
    Failing that anyone suggest a good course with Assesments.
    Help any one please
    Thanks

Stanley

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

The one IGCSE I have taught had coursework (not 'controlled assessments'). This may be an option, though.

More relevant is why your school has 'problems' with internal assessment marks? Perhaps sorting these out should be your main focus?

4. I have just come into the stiuation. So the problmes are historical ( forgive the double entenre)
    I'd be intested in a syllabus that does not have such an enromous histroical time span.
    Could you recommend the one you use for example ?

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I only taught this for a year before leaving the school - I believe they are still (2 years on) happy with it:
    http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/middlesec/igcse/subject?assdef_id=864
    It certainly seemed a good course, and very similar to the old MEG Modern World Syllabus I taught in the early 1990s!