1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Harmony Resourses

Discussion in 'Music' started by colliewollie21, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Greetings. I will be starting to teach the CIE IGCSE Music exams from September on. I know they CIE website has resources on it but I would like to know what books you find helpful for teaching GCSE and A Level..in particular music harmony and theory.

Appreciate all your responses.

2. Greetings. I will be starting to teach the CIE IGCSE Music exams from September on. I know they CIE website has resources on it but I would like to know what books you find helpful for teaching GCSE and A Level..in particular music harmony and theory.

Appreciate all your responses.

3. I use extracts from Butterworth Harmony in Practice - however for GCSE I don't bother with four part harmony so much as some simple rules about not doubling the third and alway including it. I go up to grade 5 theory standard - beeing able to identify chords and cadences and suggest chords for harmonising a melody.
    I don't teach IGCE but I expect the composing component is roughly the same.

4. Thanks ever so much for your input. I think I will order this books. It seems to be highly recommended.

5. I got the book Four Part Harmony by Classroom Resources (after someone recommended it to me).

It was just what I was looking for; comprehensive yet concise. It filled up a few gaps in my knowledge, and it was written in a way that pupils could understand.

You can get a 50% reduction if you agree not to photocopy it, but if you have a lot of students, it is definitely worth buying it "properly" as it can then be freely photocopied as many times as you like. This has saved me an enormous amount of time in preparing resources. After I cover a topic in class, I simply give students a photocopy of the relevant page to recap the salient points and study at their own pace. It has plenty of examples and covers everything you could need up to A-Level, without boring the students with unnecessary detail and archaic vocabulary as so many of these resources tend to do.

You can get it here:

http://www.classroom-resources.co.uk/acatalog/
    Online_Catalogue_Four_Part_Harmony_2866.html

6. www.musictheory.net

This may help. It has supported my GCSE classes out from time to time.