1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE grades converted to KS3 Levels?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by badelf, Jun 9, 2008.

1. badelf

badelf New commenter

We have an early entry policy for pupils doing a humanities GCSE. We begin the course in year 9 but have recently been asked to give an end of key stage level for these pupils. Does anyone have data on ways to convert GCSE grades to KS3 levels?
    Thanks,
    Gregg

2. You could do a simple a*-7, a-6, b-5 thing but it would be fairly meaningless. It would do the job tho :)

3. I agree jslp about it doing the job, but would have concerns about level 4 being a C - below the average standard!!?? (Just a thought!)

4. badelf

badelf New commenter

Thanks Moriarty, I MIGHT be able to compare graphs of Ks3 indicators to similar CAT predictions for GCSE grades which might give me a more 'informed' basic comparison as jslp suggested. I guess a rough comparison would do, Im just worried about ks3 - 4 progression. Maybe I should assess them at end of year 8 and just keep the results for a year :)
    Thanks again, any other thoughts would be gratefully received,
    Gregg

5. InControliThink

InControliThink New commenter

I've always been told a level 7 = C though think that may be a bit too simplistic!

6. that would make sense since level 5 -> grade C is considered to be 2 levels of progress

7. A*=level 10
    A=9
    B=8
    C=7
    D=6
    E=5
    F=4
    G=3
    U=2
    seems to work well for me!!

8. gliss

gliss New commenter

It's quite worrying that we are all working to different systems.

We work on:

5= c
    6= B
    7= A
    8= A*

if you look at MidYis data this seems to be the case, be very interested to here your views.

9. The systems are not comparable. You are wasting your time, I am afraid.

10. And anyway, end of KS 3 levels are based on the National Curriculum level descriptions. Nothing else. Nothing to do with GCSE.

11. gliss

gliss New commenter

12. yes, that was my point - conversion is meaningless so you might as well play the game and do something so you can concentrate on something meaningful.

13. gliss

gliss New commenter

jslp........please explain ur comments cos they are meanigless to me at the moment, please be explicit on what u mean.

this issue needs clarification not pontification

14. gliss

gliss New commenter

no answer then jslp

15. Level 9/10 doesnt exist either...

We have other stuff at school but basically we have assessment manager and you arent supposed to figurea ll this stuff out anyway. You should have someone who does that for you on SLT. Have you checked who is responsible for collating this stuff? Get them to do it, save you a job!

16. gliss

gliss New commenter

thank god someone is talking sense.

17. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

It just can't be done - not in any meaningful way.

You just can't correlate the actual achievements as recorded in levels for KS3 with what they have to do to get certain grades at GCSE.

All right, there's the big global that most children who get level 5 KS3 will get GCSE C but that's not really significant.

When the NC was invented, there was a deliberate policy that there would be no level equivalent to the old "O" Level pass or GCSE grade C. People had to start thinking outside the old assessment box.

And that's still how it is.

There was a theory that NC levels would go up to ten and that GCSE would give the final NC level.

When Sir (as he was then) Ron Dearing took charge of Assessment, he soon saw that it was nonsense to put what sixteen-year-olds did on the same scale as what seven-year-olds did and so the levels 9 and 10 disappeared and levels stopped at the end of KS3.

They just don't equate in any real sense.

18. gliss

gliss New commenter

if a child arrives at ks3 with nc level 4 and as expected moves a 1/2 level every year :

end of yr 7= 4.5
    end of yr 8= 5.0
    end of yr 9 = 5.5

most ks3 pupils should get a c at gcse and does not take into acount g & t.

19. gliss

gliss New commenter

'When Sir (as he was then) Ron Dearing took charge of Assessment, he soon saw that it was nonsense to put what sixteen-year-olds did on the same scale as what seven-year-olds did and so the levels 9 and 10 disappeared and levels stopped at the end of KS3.'

then why do we have yellis predictors? which if u look at stats will corrilate with KS3 stats, there are odd ones out...ie my son - predicted d/e at gcse..........got 11 a/b's, went on to get 5 A levels and a uni degree......

exceptions to the rule there is a corrilation....stats cant be sooooo wrong can they?