1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Graded objectives and NC Levels

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MathsDom, Nov 15, 2007.

1. I've been looking at grading my SOW for GCSE so staff can see which work is geared towards A*/A pupils and which is mainly for B Grade pupils etc. (Rather similar to what Nelson thornes have done in their SOW for AQA modules). However I was working on the principle that A* = L10, A = L9, B=L8, C=L7, D=L6. I've had this equivalence in my mind since day dot, but am I completely off the mark, is there no real significance, I'm starting to wonder.

I'd appreciate you opinions,..

2. I've been looking at grading my SOW for GCSE so staff can see which work is geared towards A*/A pupils and which is mainly for B Grade pupils etc. (Rather similar to what Nelson thornes have done in their SOW for AQA modules). However I was working on the principle that A* = L10, A = L9, B=L8, C=L7, D=L6. I've had this equivalence in my mind since day dot, but am I completely off the mark, is there no real significance, I'm starting to wonder.

I'd appreciate you opinions,..

3. I wouldn't be confident about that, although it seems a good rule of thumb.

I've tried breaking the topics down too, for the same reason as you and have a couple of documents I've found if you're interested (they don't always agree!).

4. Not a bad rule of thumb.

Also worth considering:

If the topic was in old Intermediate but not new Foundation then it must be B grade.

If it wasn't in old intermediate but is in new higher it must be A*/A grade etc.

5. tl1000

tl1000 New commenter

These equivalences are written on my heart. They are as you say, except
    L6/5 = D/E/F and L4 =G.
    There was one year when it was announced that soon the GCSE grades would be published as levels instead of grades. My school changed all our KS4 reporting systems to reflect this. Then they changed their minds.

6. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

I can send you a short doc which compares NC level and GCSE grade if you post your email

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

When the NC was in gestation and when born, the theory was that there would be ten levels (there are just nine now, aren't there), that up to and including KS3, the levels would be decided by teacher assessment and that the determination of levels at KS4 would be by public examination (i.e. GCSEs).

It was Sir Ron Dearing (as he was then) who saw straight away, when put in charge of assessment, that it would be a total nonsense to equate the achievement of Junior school children with that of sixteen year-olds.

So he put a stop to the notion of reporting GCSE in levels.

However, GCSE syllabuses (as they were called then) had been already written with level descriptors.

For a few years, therefore, we were marking GCSE in levels but reporting results in grades.

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

An interesting detail in the original NC plans was that there was to be no level equivalent to GCSE Grade C.

A level six was below and a level 7 above.

This was in order to put an end to comparisons between the new system and the old ones.

9. interestingly.....(or not) all the new target setting in school assumes that ALL level 5 students should be able to achive a grade C.......

10. also your HOD should have shared with you a document that shows what maths you need to do from a level 5, from a level 6 etc to grades at GCSE. (will be on the standards site under subject leader conference documentation if not)

11. Hi Tandy. Could you possibly Email this document to me (jim@jimgardner.co.uk).

Is anyone aware of any published data comparing actual KS3 results to GCSE grades?

12. Thanks to the people who replied to this thread, even though it does seem an awful long time ago that I wrote the original post! It seem things have moved on rather since then though. Although I never saw any official notification of the equivalnece of N.C. Levels and GCSE grades, (but thanks for the offer of infoTandy) it seems that now three levels of progress has become such a major benchmark, and a L5 to B qualifies, L4 to C qualifies for this, then it would seem that my original premise of A* = L10, A = L9, B = L8, C = L7 etc is more true now then it was back at the start of this thread? Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

13. DM

DM New commenter

Who cares? Levels are sooooo 2011.

14. Seriously?

15. DM

DM New commenter

I wasn't being entirely serious but levels are being abolished in 2014 (unless our illustrious leader has a change of heart).

16. September

September New commenter

Are they not staying for the core subjects only?

17. DM

DM New commenter

No.