1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE grade boundaries for Edexcel

Discussion in 'Music' started by Montague78, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Montague78

Montague78 New commenter

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has the grade boundaries from last years Edexcel GCSE? I have mine somewhere but have moved classrooms this year and they are
    buried at the bottom of a box somewhere in the department! So if anyone had them handy I'd be really grateful. I know it's a different syllabus this year but just wanted some kind of guide.

Thanks

2. Montague78

Montague78 New commenter

Brilliant, thank you.

3. linber

linber New commenter

At the back of the new spec (I think, rather than the other Edexcel publications) there are grade boundaries. These are slightly different to last year's.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Those are the minimum uniform mark scale (UMS) marks needed for each grade, and are the same for all units in all subjects (e.g. a grade D is always set at 50% of the total available mark).
    The actual grade boundaries for music cannot be set until the Award Meeting that is held after the work has been marked, and judgements made. Some complicated scaling is then done to transform the raw mark into a uniform mark.
    To take a simple case, if it is decided that a grade D for Unit 3 (which has a total raw mark of 80) is in the range 26-34, and a candidate scores 30 out of 80, this is at the midpoint of the Grade D raw mark range. This mark of 30/80 then becomes a UMS mark of 66/120 (i.e. the midpoint of the Grade D UMS range).
    In other words, the UMS marks have no meaning of their own until after the grade boundaries have been decided.
    Grading will be a very complex issue this year, not just because of syllabus changes but also because of controlled assessment. The latter will almost certainly result in an apparent fall in coursework standards, but the Chair of Examiners might well take the view (doubtless encouraged by the board itself) that there is no reason why this year's candidates should be any different to last year's, and may thus decide on much more generous grade boundaries than those used previously.
    Statisticians will be present at the Award Meeting to argue that if (say) 62% of candidates got at least a D for listening last year, then 62% should get at least a D this year. The Chief Examiner should probably argue that basing the listening paper on set works, rather than unfamiliar music, has made the unit somewhat easier, and may present statistical evidence to that effect.
    Quite what will come out of all this, we won't know until August, but my guess is that the exam boards will press Award Committees to keep percentages of candidates at each grade as close as possible to those of last year, which may well mean that raw mark boundaries will need to be significantly lower than in the past.

5. linber

linber New commenter

Thanks Florian! I was rather hoping that because it's a new spec the Chief Examiner might be more generous with grade boundaries ...

6. I was just looking through this forum, because I also wanted to find some grade boundaries. Do you know where to find the grade boundaries for the listening paper as many of my students are interested?

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I haven't checked, but I think you might be able to find them (and their conversion to UMS) through the converter that cmf recommended in another thread:
    http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/results/Pages/Convert-your-marks.aspx