1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE French Y11

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Cazziet, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Cazziet

Cazziet New commenter

I have been doing a small amount of tutoring, mostly in primary English but also adult English as a foreign language and some GCSE French. I have been asked through the tutoring website where I have a profile to tutor a year 11 pupil who has just moved to a new school where French is not taught. His previous school predicts a 6/7 in the exam. His father is requesting that I take over his entire French tuition and to enter him for the exam at the end of the academic year. Whilst I am confident enough in my knowledge of the subject, it is several years since I taught French to exam level and I would have to do a lot of research into the new curriculum. I am also uncertain about the boy being able to achieve a good standard on only one hour's lesson a week. I'd be interested to know how others might approach this request in my position.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I would not take it on for one hour a week.
    Your teaching background is in primary English or English as a foreign language. Where is your experience in French? Are you French?

3. Cazziet

Cazziet New commenter

I have a PGCE in French and have taught it in schools at both secondary and primary level, as I have English. However, my private tutoring has mostly been in English and it is some time since I taught French at exam level. As I said, I have no problems with the subject and the new curriculum and the projected small amount of weekly tutoring time are the main issues.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

So who does the exam entry? If this is you is the parent going to pay for your time?
    Who does the speaking part? Again has the parent thought of this?
    Will the school where he does not do French let him sit the exam there?
    If he's expecting results in an hour a week at this stage in year 11 I think I'd be inclined to give it a miss.

never_expect_anything likes this.
  5. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

I'd be cautious...
    Has the parent also ensured that his son can be entered for the exam at a registered exam centre? (The new school is not obliged and may not be willing to do so - considering he is new in Y11 and therefore an unknown quantity and a possible late entry - not to mention that they may not be registered with the same exam board as the student was following at his previous school.) On the other hand, with a dedicated student, this might not be a completely unreasonable request. I've done this before, for a gifted linguist whose school stopped offering GCSE German - after about 2 terms of tuition from me (maybe more, I forget now!), the school agreed to allow one of the teachers who had previously taught the course to tutor her individually during curriculum time after all!
    Before accepting the student, you could offer an assessment session to enable you to determine the amount of tuition time required and possibly then suggest more than an hour's tuition per week. If the student is dedicated and capable, you can also cover a lot through setting independent learning tasks for completion between lessons. Taking into account the amount of planning time and marking time, for independent learning (homework), which would probably be more than for a tutee who is supplementing their school lessons, but also for ensuring your familiarity with the specification, you would certainly be justified in adjusting your usual fees.
    On the other hand, if you're not confident in accepting the student, if you know of someone who is already teaching that course, you could always recommend them as a tutor (and they might return the favour by sending you at English tuition enquiries they receive).

6. Cazziet

Cazziet New commenter

Thank you to you both for your thoughts. Given the present unknowns and the amount of extra work (and time, which is in short supply) it will all entail, I have decided against taking it on. I have suggested to the father that he finds a tutor who is up to speed with the new curriculum and the time to devote to being sole tutor for the course.

langteacher likes this.