1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE French Listening AQA?!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by johnsmith_french35, May 14, 2012.

1. I was in the exam as well, got the papers back today 24 hours later. I'm pretty sure mine all passed, but it was much tougher than the past papers that are on the AQA website... we didn't revise saignant either! Grrr. Hopefully, if we all thought it was hard, that'll affect the curve somewhat.

(This is the higher, I wasn't in the foundation)

2. My honest opinion is that the grade boundaries will be quite low, and that the pupils didn't do as badly as they think they have done..
    Here's the AQA January 2012 reading paper if you'd like it; no mark scheme though: http://www.mcsmodlangs.org/extra/French%20GCSE/AQA-46552H-QP-Jan12.pdf
    Grade boundaries are as follows: (out of 45)
    A* = 35
    A = 31
    B = 27
    C = 23
    D = 18

3. That was back in the day when the test started with (something like) 'what you are about to hear concerns the sorts of situations in which you might find yourself if you visit France or look after a French-speaking visitor to this country'.
    Couldn't really say that now - unless you are taking your French-speaking visitor to a Citizenship lesson or some sort of PC brainwashing convention. We used to be able to claim that it might all come in useful one day, I doubt we could now with much of what they're tested on.

4. I thought the test was OK, but I do think you have a good point in so far as the test is supposed to cater for grade Ds as well as A*s. It's all well and good lowering the grade boundaries (if they do), but the price for that seems to be a thoroughly depressing experience for some candidates who are wishing they were next door doing foundation. Finishing off on a couple of easy questions (as well as starting with some) might be a way forward as I think weaker to average candidates will be tired by the end, and if they know that there will be a couple of easy questions to end on they might not be quite so downhearted.

5. We've been saying things along the same lines - we all know we are supposed to be concerned about which colour bin you put your rubbish in, but our pupils don't really discuss it all that much and certainly won't be doing so with the local teenagers when they go to Paris.... (neither will they be reciting a 5 minute pre-learnt monolgue about their family and pets, for that matter). Listening to actors pretending to be teenagers discussing the problems of the world just isn't motivating! The AS is better, with the relatively enjoyable and teen-friendly topics of music, cinema, television, IT, friendships, sport, fashion and so on. That is, of course, for the few who brave it after the experience of GCSE.
    Mind you - as someone else has said - hats off to whoever came up with the dancing dog question. Can't get more up to date than that!

6. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Hi!

I'm amazed at the number of teachers in the exam room - I thought this was strictly forbidden!

7. Me too. In my school we can't even wish them good luck!

8. I would be interested know whether any of the following changes would be welcomed by anyone else:
    * the restoration of an incremental pattern of L/R question difficulty (not hard-easy-hard-hard-easy)
    * the abandonment of the two-tier system (1 listening and 1 reading for all to do away with the entry tier and grade boundary lottery for candidates around C grade)
    * a reduction in the amount of social justice / environment material tested - association caritative is not, in my opinion, something we should prioritise as important or very useful language for a 16-year old with 4 or 5 years' French.

9. Yes I would agree except to say I would like some easier questions near the end, as that is what the candidates remember afterwards and it might help encourage them a bit, (especially if they have been trained to expect easier questions whilst they are bogged down with the more challenging ones during the test).
    I think that either they should do away with the two-tier system or go back to allowing them to do both levels as they used to
    completely with you on the third point.

10. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

AQA made it clear last year in a letter to a school who complained, that the Thresholds for Listening are NOT relative to the difficulty of the Listening. They are to get the right number of pupils at each grade OVERALL. ie they can't get away with changing the Sp and Wr thresholds too much, so there can be BIG differences in the L/R thresholds.
    Makes deciding tier of entry almost impossible.