1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE French Listening AQA?!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by johnsmith_french35, May 14, 2012.

1. Wasn't that rather hard?!
    Practically all my Year 11s didn't write anything down for the last question, and they've been arguing about the political party question.
    Conversely, the talent show one was really easy...
    Thoughts?

2. Wasn't that rather hard?!
    Practically all my Year 11s didn't write anything down for the last question, and they've been arguing about the political party question.
    Conversely, the talent show one was really easy...
    Thoughts?

3. kate2521

kate2521 New commenter

I haven't been through the paper or seen my pupils yet but have heard they all found it really hard. We've done hours of practice going over past papers in detail and they all felt confident going in. Here we go again! Let's hope they make the boundaries low.

4. Kleeblatt

Kleeblatt New commenter

Haven't listened but have read transcript and questions for higher. The penultimate one about the green holiday had a lot of tricky vocab in it, whereas the very last question, which mine usually think is hardest was quite nice I thought. Mine all seemed to think the paper was a bit of a mixture.

I hope the Reading is OK. The Jan paper this year had A LOT of long chunks of text in it (H) which was quite different to the previous papers on this spec.

5. bloody saignant!! Didn't revise food enough.

6. slw

slw New commenter

Having looked through the transcript for the Higher paper, we have found at least 8 phrases/words that are not in the specification, yet are vital for understanding and responding to the question. This is very disappointing, as why would we teach these words??

7. Yes, mine all put fatty ('gros'), although this means large.
    The holiday one was odd - although a lot of my class got it right?
    - The daughter didn't like it (1) because she couldn't sleep due to the noise (1)
    - The father was dissapointed (1) because next year she wants to go to an expensive hotel (1)
    The political one was difficult; was it optimistic or pessimistic? My class were divided over that.. although most of them got that she wanted to have more renewable energy. Was the solar energy one right? Not too sure...
    The last question was rather difficult for my B-graders; they put that she didn't love him anymore because she's hanging around with other people, and that as a result he regrets it enormously and he is going to study harder. Can't remember this at all, sorry.
    The talent show and the first question were really easy though; question 1 was homelessness and racism, right?
    Overall, I'm going to get my pupils to study hard for the reading paper - who knows what it could bring?!

8. A good paper which differentiated very well; our 'grade C on a good day' candidates, who all did foundation, got all or very nearly all the questions right according to our straw poll and so their grade Cs for listening will be in the bag. I reckon that our 'grade C on a bad day' students all got at least 50% on the higher which should get them solid Cs or Bs at least, if previous boundaries are anything to go by. Some very tough, nigh on impossible questions, yes, but A* pupils need to be able to prove their worth. I thought it was an improvement on last year's exam and I look forward to the reading with considerably less dread than I was.

And how on earth did AQA know that a dancing dog was going to win Opportunity Knocks, or whatever they call it these days? Brilliant!

9. I wish I had known, then I would have put a bet on!
    I sat in the higher paper - we always do (with an invigilator as well). The question I thought was horrible was the one about where he works - factory / furniture shop / hotel. All 3 were mentionned when he talks about his job. Pupils really needed to concentrate carefully to pick the right one.
    My lot hated the last question, but the penultimate was easy.
    I just hope that the grade boundaries are lower, as they were in January

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Bombard AQA with complaints.

11. Despite my earlier comments, I did think the question about the factory was a bit unfair - 'usine' not being mentioned, and of course they were all listening for it.... I thought the last question was ok but the temptation for those who lost the thread during it was to impose their own experiences on the question (but that is so often the case). I do wish they could end on an easier question, thereby sending them out with a more positive feeling, as all they seem to remember is the difficult ones and they forget the more accessible questions where they have probably done quite well. I still think it wasn't too bad on the whole, but there again it could be pride coming before a fall!

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

Thinking ahead a bit: I have the Edexcel stuff - does anyone want to swap this for today's AQA?

13. Unfortunately I currently don't have any documents to swap. Would it be possible to have a copy of the Edexcel documents? They could be useful.

Thanks

14. One thing I wasn't impressed with was the time-tabling - probably not down to AQA or any particular board - but it wasn't a lot of help having the French GCSE on at the same time as the AS Spanish...[​IMG]

15. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

How do all of you even know about the paper? We have strict instructions NOT to walk in the hall under any circumstances and only get given the paper after a 24 hour period. The only bits I know was from my Spanish colleague who was invigilating, whilst I was invigilating her Spanish AS paper! (and yes, conjugator, a little ridiculous I grant you!)

16. As a matter of practice we always have a teacher of that language in the listening exam, as all of our invigilators are non-teachers. We are purely there in case of MFL emergency (ie CD breaking). I know it is not the norm, but its what we do.

17. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

We do the same. We have another teacher as the invigilator, but an MFL teacher is there in case all three CDs provided fail. However, we don't get to see the materials again, or take them away, until 24 hours later. I find it very hard to stay awake during this exam, and the fact that yesterday wasn't a warm day made life much more pleasant.

18. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

I actually thought the higher tier paper was OK and my students seemed relatively happy. A few more difficult ideas but not too bad.

19. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

We are not allowed in the exam rooms, but I always go round beforehand to check tone controls are well set. Invigilators usually don't think about this vital point at all.
    I have spoken to a few students who said the exam was a little harder than usual, but not bad.

20. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

By the way, the AQA listening tests are a good deal easier than 15 to 20 years ago, but the UMS conversions are less generous and it is harder to get full UMS.