1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE French Aqa mock

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by colciagomarco, Nov 23, 2017.

1. colciagomarco

colciagomarco New commenter

Hi there, has anyone got their classes to do their mock GCSE French with the 2nd set of papers in e-aqa? And if so, a rough average score? We are due soon, but Listening Higher seems far too hard.
    Thanks!

2. kdaniels1990

kdaniels1990 New commenter

We've just done the second set for our mock exams and you're right - the listening higher is far too hard. Students weren't able to cope at all, it's really demoralising for both teachers and students.
    I'd like to find out if others had the same problem.

3. Belindaphilips

Belindaphilips New commenter

Absolutely agree! Did the higher paper with my students last week for their mock - far too hard!! Only one student (native speaker) managed over 50%. Group of hard working students totally demoralised - hope aqa take note before disaster in the summer

4. shameem_babs

shameem_babs New commenter

Did anyone have a go at setting some kind of grade boundaries? I don't know where to start!

5. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Not reflected by amount of comments on tes forums but this issue is attracting lots of comments on facebook mfl groups. Will be interesting to see if exam boards will take notice and make changes for gcse's next summer.

6. colciagomarco

colciagomarco New commenter

Glad (or maybe not...) to see other people have similar issues. I am going to have a go with Eduqas; their Sample Material is hard, but fair. You cannot answer if you do not know some specific vocabulary, but at least you do not need to guess someone's mood by listening to their monotone voice.

7. joanneedithwilliams

joanneedithwilliams New commenter

minka1 likes this.
  8. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

There was another thread about grade boundaries discussing how we set them. Anyway, as I answered there, I used the second set and these are the boundaries I used, I explained how I did it in the other thread, basically maths and based on iGCSE:

upload_2018-3-21_11-47-23.png