1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE French AQA certificate

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Maxomtb, Aug 29, 2014.

1. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

It won't count for league table points, but is is an accredited GCSE standard qualification for the students.

2. I am going to the London Language Show a week on Saturday as I believe there is a talk on AQA igcse. Anyone else going?

3. Just took a moment to compare my teaching of the Certificate with year 10 and GSCE with year 11 and realised that I am enjoying the former so much more. We are doing more interesting things and progress has been very good, freed from the shackles of controlled assessments in 2 skills!

4. BTW where is the London Language Show taking place? Please don't say London!

5. It is London, unfortunately! I am going and will be making a beeline for the AQA stand to ask about the iGCSE (Check I am doing things right!).

I too feel like it has freed me from the shackles of CA, when teaching before, everything was (and still is, for year 11) all about "put this in your CA" and "write this up for your CA" etc etc ALL the time and it was/is just teaching to the test. I do feel with year 10 we have explored the topics in more detail and have a bit more freedom, because the AQA topics are a lot "freer" sounding (if that makes sense!). Haven't really had to adjust the SOW, except for making it a rule that we're teaching nothing new from Jan of year 11 onwards, as will have to use those 3 1/2 months or so then for pure revision and exam prep as it's for all 4 skills..........

6. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

My plan is to go on Saturday at present but that might change!

7. nellydean

nellydean New commenter

What kind of schools do you all teach at that you are allowed to teach this if it doesn't count towards league tables?

8. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

We all teach in state schools. It does count for the current year 10 groups

9. dutschke68

dutschke68 New commenter

The Edexcel certificate already counted last year. We did it for fr and sp and really enjoyed it. Candidates got results they deserved, first time!

10. gsglover

We did AQA last summer (kids did gcse in year 10) and results were as expected without CAs

11. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

I am finding the course excellent so far!

12. I need to know if I can use it as a back up for Y11 students this year and whether it will count towards their EBAC and in the school's results for MFL ? I can't seem to get a straight answer to this - am certainly thinking of moving towards this with Y10 and Y9. Thanks in advance :)

13. toadman

It can be used as back up and is a qualification acknowledged by all bodies, but it won't count as part of ebac until current year 10 get results.

14. toadman

Good talk at Languages Show- enjoyed it

15. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Enjoyed the talk at London Language Show- just confirmed my decision to do this spec now.

16. Wonder how widespread the uptake for this spec will be. I know of 3 local schools doing at least one MFL subject in year 10 currently.

17. toadman

I don't know of any other local schools but we are enjoying it!

18. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Two schools in our area are currently doing it in year 10, one in year 11. It is so good not to be doing CAs!!

19. gsglover

I hope that things work out for all the schools doing this spec. As I have said elsewhere, we were pleased with the results last year in level 1/2 Certificate French(the only language we did).

20. toadman

Have just re-written our SOW but only a little tweaking needed.