1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Food Technology - any advice re. choosing an exam board?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Ginny_H, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Hi all :)

I'm starting a new job in September as Head of Food Tech at a school that currently uses Edexcel for GCSE Food Technology. I'm an AQA girl and have been happy with their specs for years but I'm open to changing. What are everyones experiences of Edexcel or even OCR for that matter?

I'm going to have a look at all 3 of the exam boards Food Tech specs for GCSE but would really appreciate any feedback from you all about your experiences of AQA/Edexcel/OCR.

I'm going to be teaching A level for first time in a while too, I used to teach OCR but this school uses AQA for AS and A2 - any preferences amongst you all for A level specs in Food tech?

Thank you in advance for your comments and look forward to sharing ideas/experiences in the future :)

2. Hi all :)

I'm starting a new job in September as Head of Food Tech at a school that currently uses Edexcel for GCSE Food Technology. I'm an AQA girl and have been happy with their specs for years but I'm open to changing. What are everyones experiences of Edexcel or even OCR for that matter?

I'm going to have a look at all 3 of the exam boards Food Tech specs for GCSE but would really appreciate any feedback from you all about your experiences of AQA/Edexcel/OCR.

I'm going to be teaching A level for first time in a while too, I used to teach OCR but this school uses AQA for AS and A2 - any preferences amongst you all for A level specs in Food tech?

Thank you in advance for your comments and look forward to sharing ideas/experiences in the future :)

3. Sorry,
    I can not help
    you. [​IMG]

4. We dropped food technology in favour of food & nutrition 3 years ago - fits in well with GCSE PE & what they are learning in science AND it is relevant to their needs. At least 4 other schools local to us also made the change
    Changed to OCR along with rest of department as felt they provided more support.

5. amykins959

amykins959 New commenter

I did GCSE OCR food tech (new spec) for a year. I wouldn't advice it because there is too much on sustainability. I moderate OCR GCSE food and nutrition which seems seems really good. 3 small short tasks for year 10 and 1 longer food study for year 11 then 1 exam (I think)
    If I could choose I would do OCR Food and Nutrition. AQA's long controlled assessment I found is not so relevant to kids as its too long and repetitive.
    Its up to you really

6. leverarch1970

leverarch1970 New commenter

I taught AQA for 6 years but dropped it in favour of WJEC Hospitality and Catering. I changed because the designing a product does get boring doing the same with variations etc. and students found it difficult to relate it to industry (well at the schools I taught in anyway) and all they want to do is cook.
    WJEC - Results went up in first year from 22% A-C Grades (last teaching of AQA) to 33%, 54% and last year 64% of my students had A-C....
    There are plenty of practicals, coursework is relevant to the practical work e.g. students have to show why they choose to make the products they choose, write a sequenced time plan to use in the practical exam and then evaluate their products. There is the opportunity of doing a double award too.
    WJEC have an A Level Food and Nutrition program though I cannot comment on it.
    I suppose also it depends upon the school and students you teach at too, mine suit this more vocational practical work.

7. AQA evey time for me. Mostly know what they are talking about when you have to contact them - unlike Edexcel. Generous with resources as well. Would your LEA be able to point you in the direction of Food AST? They should be able to provide a wealth of info/resources/advice.
    WJEC Hospitality and Catering (double) is a definite winner, too, in as far as motivating students to cook and succeed. More practically based and more suitable for students wishing to pursue a career in the kitchen.

8. More practicals = most cost in ingredients would need to be something you need to factor in

9. Thank you Jillyo for that, I hadn't considered Food and Nutrition. After teaching Food Technology for 21 years I have used several different exam boards but I have been with AQA for the last 11 years. Now that I'm going to be working in a school that does not use AQA I'm taking this opportunity to review all the exam board specs to see which one will be best. I will definately look into Food and Nutrition :)

10. Thank you for your reply amykins959, I'll definately look into OCR Food and Nutrition :)

11. Thank you for your reply leverarch1970. The school I'm going to be teaching in currently runs WJEC Hospitality and Catering for the less able students and Edexcel Food Technology for the more able. I will look into the WJEC A level course as the school currently runs AQA Food Technology at both AS and A2.

12. Thank you for your reply MrReindeer - I have always been happy with AQA but felt that this was an ideal opportunity to have a look at what the other exam boards have to offer. I did look at all the specs from the exam boards when they last changed in 2009 and was hoping to get other teachers experiences of how the various exam board specs in Food Technology were working out for them :)

Your comments are very helpful :)

13. Have taught Edexcel for several years at GCSE and A level and a convert myself from OCR.

14. Hi - I am a recent Food Technology teacher (actually graphics but have taken on food at my school since the food teacher retired). We are currently with AQA food and technology and have low results mainly due to having particularly low ability students. They struggle with the amount of analysis and evaluation involved with AQA food. SLT have suggested changing exam board so I have just started looking at WJEC food technology but don't know much about it. Could you share any experiences about the exam board/courses?

Thank you