1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

gcse food lesson starch as a thickening agent

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by profiteroles, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Teaching food lesson about starch as a thickening agent, im interested in knowing if anyone had a suggestion on making this lesson interesting
    thanks

2. janharper

janharper Occasional commenter

Working in groups experiment with different types of starch. Wheat flour, cornflour, arrowroot etc. Make up with cold water, record results. Heat. Divide into 2 plastic cups. Chill one, freeze the other. Next lesson compare defrosted with chilled. synerisis takes place with frozen which is why your home made lasagne is not as good frozen. Mention smart foods. Could also get 2 pupils to dem a white roux sauce and all in one sauce. You commentate on the science behind how starch works. If you have a microscope linked to your IWB you could show the difference between the raw suspension and the cooked starch.
    I used to link this lesson in with a savoury plait or Russian fish pie type practical.

3. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

I beg to differ! my lasagne starts off frozen when i buy it and is delicious! [​IMG]