1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Final performance piece

Discussion in 'Music' started by jen77, Oct 10, 2015.

1. jen77

jen77 New commenter

Hi everyone

I have a piano pupil who will be doing his grade 4 in the spring term next year then going straight into his grade 5. He is in his first term of GCSE music and has been told he needs to decide his performance piece now. Is this correct? I don't want him rushing his decision now as our heads are in grade 4. This seems a little early to decide - can anyone clarify this?

Many thanks

2. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Sounds like a way for the classroom GCSE Music teacher to help encourage their students to choose and work on one piece, rather than flitting from one piece to another. It is good practice to get students to perform and record more music than required, so they can choose their best performances for final submission. Ie. Your piano pupil could perform the Grade 4 piece, but then later perform a Grade 5 piece.

Perhaps you could contact the school Music teacher and propose a Grade 4 piece that the student will record for the GCSE performance, plus note that they may well also have a Grade 5 piece ready later in the course. You could ask whether the students will have the opportunity for several performances.

Hope this helps a little.

3. jen77

jen77 New commenter

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll drop them an email with the points you've brought up. They are keen for him to do a grade 5 piece which is fair enough, but I would rather he concentrate on his grade 4 pieces for the time being. Much appreciated!