1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

gcse film

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by loulabelle1, Jun 29, 2011.

1. <address>I'm planning on making short films with my class next year for their coursework and haven't really got a clue (or any experience) where to start. Could anyone give me an idea on time scale- particularly how many weeks I should assign to editing? Bearing in mind this is a one year course, thanks</address>

2. I've been teaching film at KS4 for a few years now and there are a lot of factors to take into consideration - editing will depend largely on the quality of the production and your own ability to guide students through the production/post production process. There might be technical factors too that could prevent students from completing the post production because you haven't been aware of them at the time or didn't realise the significance until its too late(something as simple as moving files during post for example will cause huge problems, as will changing file names when students have amassed loads of files without ever organising them!). I always do some short build up activities where students learn key skills before starting a project - this will usually involve 2 hour workshops in production and editing - at least that way you can assess how long students will need and what sort of direction to take them in, preparing the workshops will help consolidate your skills too. With 3 lessons a week (I'm going on experience here) and a film of approx 6 - 8 mins you will need at least a third of the year (ie 1 third pre production, 1 production and 1 post/rendering).
    There is some basic info here:
    http://swanwickhallmedia.weebly.com/filming-techniques.html
    and some examples:
    http://swanwickhallmedia.weebly.com/examples.html
    Please remember that these are yr10 students who have never filmed or edited before - I think they have done really well in the short time that we have.
    Hope this helps!!??
    http://swanwickhallmedia.weebly.com/index.html

3. thank you so much for your help. My students have to produce a 90 sec clip and I have allowed roughly 16 weeks for this of a 2hr lesson. My expertise is theory based so this is a brand new area for me, but there is some technical support at my college. Hope I'm not biting off mre than I can chew!

4. Thanks so much for your response. My students have to produce a 90 sec film and I have allowed for roughly 16 weeks- a 2 hr lesson. My expertise is theory so this is a massive gamble!

5. No problem - main thing is to have fun! Any chance you'll be posting the results on the web?

6. Are you part of mediaedu.co.uk - or check out their blog. They have lots of subject specific stuff.

7. No- how much does it cost?

8. Wjec have examples of students' film work available on a disk if you ring them.Hope it helps.