1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE exams analysis - what to include?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by MFLTeacher1, Aug 30, 2011.

1. I know this will vary from school to school but I'm trying to get ahead with my work and have just done a GCSE exams analysis. This is my first GCSE class so I've never done an exams analysis before.
    So far I have included:
    That I had the class for 2 years.
    The changes that were made to the pupil number when we had to reorganise classes and the effect that had.
    My general feeling about the results.
    A list of the pupils, the grades I predicted them, their actual grades (not done for each paper but overall) and then why some pupils didn't achieve their predicted grade (poor attendance, missed exams, underperformance on a specific paper, writing marks lower than expected, not attending extra revision sessions).
    Have I missed anything obvious out or can anyone suggest anything I might need to add in?
    Many thanks in advance!

2. believe81

believe81 New commenter

Hi,
    This is my first year of doing this as well so I am not sure if I am doing it right. I have looked at gender analysis, c/d borderline,a/a* and looked at the skills and topics analysis.
    After the anaylsis, I also included what I would be implementing to improve on results. Although poor attendance, missed exams are all valid, I know my HOD would not accept this and would want to know what I would do next time e.g. early intervention strategies. I also included the weakest topics and skills and said what I would be doing to improve on this.
    Again I don't know if this is right, but I hope it helps.
    B

3. You could also look at how vulnerable students perform in relation to oher class members. There are any number of different parameters really. Some exam boards let you see how each student did on a question by question basis so you can crunch that data and see where the areas of misunderstanding lie.

Dave

4. It depends on the size of your cohort really but comparisons that can easily be tracked through SIMs data sheets are things like performance of SEN, G+T, FSM, ethnic groups, EAL, boys/girls.
    Not sure what board you do but I know AQA do enhanced results analysis for many subjects where you can find out perfromance in individual questions which allows you to see if there are any areas that are weakly understood overall.

5. Start with the positives...
    I was really pleased that we got xxx results.
    X pupil got an A*, A, B,C,D,E,F,G and they were chuffed/pleased/over the moon with this.
    The next bit really depends on your school.......
    If the SMT are highly critical and want to criticise then state clearly the MFL is one of the hardest GCSEs to get a grade in. Look at national residuals and put them in your report.
    Again if there is an atmosphere of undue criticism make them say they were disappointed in the results. It really shows them up.
    If the school is one of those that look rationally at results then you will really be in an amicable conversation about 'how to improve'.

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

You'd better find something to back that up if you're going to include it OP.