1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE exam concessions for EAL students?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lucye, Jan 11, 2011.

1. lucye

lucye New commenter

A friend of the family moved to England four months ago. Their daughter was achieving 'A' & "B grades in exams in her home language. English is her third language, and she is achieving 'D' grades in most subjects now, due to problems with English language difficulties. She told me that she has extra time and was promised a reader at school. However, three hours before an exam the school told her that she couldn't have a reader as there were 'home' students more in need of help. She is upset as she can't understand the exam questions and is worrying about the exams.
    Could anyone please advise about concessions for EAL students. I am primary, so I can't advise her. Thank you.

2. lucye

lucye New commenter

A friend of the family moved to England four months ago. Their daughter was achieving 'A' & "B grades in exams in her home language. English is her third language, and she is achieving 'D' grades in most subjects now, due to problems with English language difficulties. She told me that she has extra time and was promised a reader at school. However, three hours before an exam the school told her that she couldn't have a reader as there were 'home' students more in need of help. She is upset as she can't understand the exam questions and is worrying about the exams.
    Could anyone please advise about concessions for EAL students. I am primary, so I can't advise her. Thank you.