1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE English Paper 1 Writing

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by annert1, Mar 18, 2019.

1. annert1

annert1 New commenter

Hello,
    I am new to GCSE tutoring and I am wondering if there is a site where quality examples can be viewed for GCSE English Language paper 1 Q5 - the creative writing question. The boy I am working with is doing AQA and is really struggling to understand what is required of him.
    I have found a couple of good videos on YouTube with examples, but that is about all.
    Any ideas would be gratefully received, please. (I am trained as Primary and have expertise in year 6 English requirements, but not GCSE.)
    Thank you.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Ask his school for past paper examples is your best bet, though as the qualification has only been going since 2017
    1) there aren't that many
    2) as they will want to use at least one as a mock exam, they probably won't want to give you many/any

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

The awarding body's Principal Examiner's reports on the examination might be helpful to you. If you can't access them from the AQA website, perhaps the school could provide copies.

4. jiin71

jiin71 New commenter

Here on TES there's a free resource - Told by Teachers (or similar) which has a huge range of responses to Paper 1 Q5 specifically written to demonstrate how to hit the AOs.

blueskydreaming likes this.