1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE English Literature Unit 3: Shakespeare and the English Literary Heritage

Discussion in 'English' started by mr.cooke, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Thank you so much!

2. I've got some bits on the Lear and Capulet extracts I mentioned if you get stuck. Drop me an email if you want some bits. sledger18@gmail.com

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I agree that it works, but that it needs to be more focussed. Perhaps think about directing the students either to a specific type of love, or to specific sections of the play.

4. In what ways are dramatic monologues used to present love by Romeo, in Romeo and Juliet and a selection of poems.

Would you say this is better?

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Yes, it is more focused. Essentially, you want them to write a lot about a few details in specific sections of the texts in a way that answers your question. So long as you keep the mark scheme and your students abilities in mind, it'll be fine. Just don't assume that they will know what the task demands. You will need to teach them to answer the "in what ways" part - don't assume they know. Alternatively, phrase the question so that it is absolutely clear what they have to do. It is acceptable to use bullet points if necessary.

6. I have emailed you readingsex78! thank you!

7. Do you think that if I pick a certain poet to study that it would help? Like Robert and Elizabeth Browning?

Thank you for the advice,

Adam

8. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Yes. I would pick a selection of poems for them to study and then allow them an element of choice about which to write about. For example, I taught 8 poems last year and they wrote about 3 of their choice in the CA. It worked.

9. I would like to thank readingsez78 for her amazing resources!

10. GloriaSunshine

Yes, it may be a good idea to use just one or two poets. Maybe even think about Shakespeare's sonnets since that will enable you to teach them how to link the texts. Having done this CA twice now, I think kids do best with scenes from two Shakespeare plays but, presentation of love could work well with poetry. Is it a top set? I've found a lot of students struggle to write about voices in texts, so I'd bear that in mind when choosing the poetry.

11. What do you mean by voices? As in the narrative view point, dramatic monologues?

12. GloriaSunshine

I mean that unless you have able students, they start off on task and then get confused about whose voice they are referring to (characters' or writers'), especially when they are writing about the writers' ideas. It is easier for them to write about Romeo and Shakespeare as character and writer, but less straightforward to distinguish between poet and voice of a monologue. It makes their writing rather vague but is obviously more of a problem if you choose the character voices task. Personally, I wouldn't choose it but colleagues did and felt it was too difficult for middle ability kids to do well with.

13. They are second set, and after hearing that I may change the task!

Thank you very much!

14. GloriaSunshine

We read complete scenes but I teach extracts (parts of several scenes). For the CA, they have clean copies of the text. I think your new title sounds much better but remember that they do not have to write about both plays in the same detail. You could, therefore, make your question about one character in one play and then ask them to compare how similar feelings are shown in the second play, encouraging them to make links. Because they are very different 'types' of love, you are asking the students to do quite a lot so I would make sure they are guided in what they write, that is, they know which parts are most relevant and that they write in detail about a few points rather than trying to deal with too many aspects/characters. Are they Year 11? If not, this is a difficult task to start with so you will need to teach them to structure this type of essay. If they are Year 11, they will have a better idea of what is required, but will still need a lot of preparation, unless they are all A/A*.

15. fishtail

fishtail New commenter

With reference to your first proposed task (in case anyone else is thinking of using it) there would be a real problem in talking about dramatic monologues (a poetic form) with regard to a play (where you would presumably be talking about either speeches or soliloquies. Sorry to be picky, but that matters, as it would mean students wouldn't write so precisely on structure and form, which is a perrenial problem at GCSE anyway.
    I absolutely agree that comparing two plays is better (and means they have more depth in terms of understandng language and context as it doubles up), but I think your question is perhaps a little too vague to get the best out of a group. Because you mention 'each character', there's a danger they'll try and write about everyone's view of love throughout both plays--and that will turn into a desciptive storyfest. Try and focus them on key scenes, or perhaps on an aspect of love (married love, parental love, romantic love, love and loyalty between friends) to make their answers sharper. For instance, if you asked them to discuss strong feelings about love between parent and child that would automatically focus them on a smaller area of each play.

16. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Not necessarily. I've seen some superb work done pairing a play with poems.
    I agree. Limit them to one or two - you could specify them, or allow them a choice.