1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE English Literature (Grades 1-9) Component 1 Unseen Exam [Eduqas] QUESTION

Discussion in 'English' started by Antinko, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Antinko

Antinko New commenter

Hi,

My department is using Eduqas for GCSE English Literature and the Component 1 is an unseen exam, i.e. no texts to be taken into the exam. The questions for both parts of the exam (Shakespeare and Poetry) involve an extract question (simple enough) and an unseen question which requires whole text knowledge.

I was just wondering what sort of responses students are going to be expected to produce? Are they going to be expected to memorise quotations or, when it says about making close reference to the text, do they mean paraphrasing/just having a comprehensive knowledge of characters, events and themes?

Thanks in advance!

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

We are trying to encourage our students to memorise quotations, a couple for each character, plus for key scenes. Obviously, if in an exam students can only paraphrase, then that's all they can do. I think the lower ability students will make more use of the paraphrasing. I think they'll be heavily penalised for not referring to the text at all.

Same with the poetry.

It's a tall order, admittedly! Our students are incredibly daunted.

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

4. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

Teachers' Guide link (because I had to add the link one-by-one on my iPad and ran out of editing time).

5. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

Paraphrases are fine.

I would also encourage memorising brief, preferably one word quotations - things like "tupping"; "vile submission"; "brave Macbeth".