1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

GCSE English Language results

Discussion in 'English' started by hardbastard, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Been teaching in a pretty typical FE College for five years. Have always taught the GCSE English AQA Spec. Typically, A-C results are around 86-90%, which is pretty good seeing as around 110-120 students usually sit it each this.

However, just seen this year?s results ? the first where controlled assessments have been used. We?ve dropped to about 42% A-C.

Gutted. I?m told that the exam results were generally quite sound, but the controlled assessment results dragged them down.

Going to have to have a serious look at where we go from here. I only have them for two hours a week, so there is no way we can keep running the course like this ? out of maybe 70 classes with them across the year, around a quarter are lost at once through controlled assessments. Then, once we get into the time used with S&Ls and?)

Anybody else had dire results?

2. I thought exam results were confidential until tomorrow...

3. Wait till tmw to reply then!

4. AQA have changed the grade boundaries for the controlled assessment between the winter series and this.
    Of course they've done it on the sly and not told anyone about it and are currently drowning in flak from schools - they've promised a press release by the end of today but are currently saying it's down to OFQUAL and all examboards have had to do similarly.
    What they have failed to appreciate is that, within the cohort of students who sat the exam this summer, there are some who submitted their controlled assessment for moderation at Christmas (and hence have been judged against lower boundaries) and some who submitted work for assessment in the summer (with the higher boundaries).
    This of course means that the same work will get different grades this summer dependent upon when a school chose to send the work in for moderation. That doesn't seem fair to me.

5. http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1386/Release%20of%20results%20June%202012.pdf
    The Head of Centre is allowed to share the results on the Wednesday with teaching staff he feels need to know but no wider.
    In our centre the head has decided that SLT need to know as does the Head of Year and SENCO so that they can prepare any support for individuals that may be necessary.
    Previous school all HoDs knew on the Wednesday so that provisional 'remark request' lists could be drawn up ready for students to sign on the day.

6. Or would I only find out when I get the moderator's report tomorrow (that IS one thing that you can't see until 23rd)?

7. Our moderator reports (all subjects) arrived today. No issues!

8. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

This is very worrying indeed. I am dreading the results even more so now as a result of this.
    The school I am at is with WJEC but in the Teachers Guide it gives us the notational grade ranges for Controlled Assessments. Are they going to now alter those so the grades are lower?
    This is unfair and it is punishing the students and also the hardwork that teachers do.

9. anteater

anteater New commenter

Many schools allow teachers in to see the results.
    I think this thread is on rather dangerous ground. Of course no one is naming individual schools, but it is easily readable by the public and there could be parents reading this and having a panic about tomorrow.

10. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

I think it may be our LA. We were told that there was no point in going into school today as we would not be able to access the results.

11. Have seen a very significant drop in results after ten years of bringing in between 70 and 80%. Bitterly disappointing for all concerned, but particularly for the pupils who will receive results tomorrow.
    Should perhaps not be so surprised given that the specification as delivered by AQA has been such a desperate shambles from the beginning.
    Time to do away with exam boards altogether and introduce a single examination authority?

12. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said but in a rushed reply, I've looked at the Raw scores and on Foundation in Jan it was 43 for a C and now it's 53. Out of 80 a whole ten marks more.

Higher has gone up marginally as have Unit 2 & 3. So all in all my forecast of 88.8% is slashed to high 70s so t they've not moved the goal posts, they've put them on a different chuffing planet.

After all the comments from the board about students need to be prepared well for this exam, and I did 3 sessions of marking to know the paper inside out (loosing weeks and months of my life in the process), and we get penalised for teaching them well.

Great. I'm off to bed with a gin.

13. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Meanwhile Literature boundaries, especially for A and A* but also for f tier C grade, have dropped! Almost as if someone wanted evidence to support an agenda for more rigour in Literature.

14. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Imagine if petrol or bread went up 12.5% in 6 months...

15. anteater

anteater New commenter

My class have nearly all got one grade higher in Lit than they did in Lang, which is surprising, and rather suspicious, given the relative proportion of time we spent on each! I am sure many of them will wish it was the other way round.

16. erp77

erp77 New commenter

It's all just part of Gove's evil plan!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/secondaryeducation/9492609/GCSE-results-2012-failing-schools-threatened-with-closure.html

17. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Twas ever thus.

18. Agreed, Gove out! I am really concerned about the impact this is going to have on my students who want to study at KS5 - many will be gutted.

19. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

A and A* boundaries have stayed the same or moved down. B has moved up marginally and the H tier C boundary has only moved up a little - potential A level English students (if that's what you meant) shouldn't be affected too badly and may do better than expected.

20. dwn

dwn

We had all this in MFL last year. It will be very interesting to see how things go for us tomorrow and whether AQA have listened and acted