1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE English Language - Extended reading - Of Mice and Men

Discussion in 'English' started by supersadie, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any resource material for this controlled assessment - particularly structuring the essay and a printed list of what features a piece should have in order to obtain top band marks.?
    Would be grateful if anyone can share or point to existing material.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

For top band, they should be planning their own 'list of features' from their notes and the mark scheme. You do need to go through the mark scheme and model what a Band 5 paragraph looks like ( I wrote one on the board, we graded it and improved it until we all agreed it met the criteria) but for a different title. For example, if you are doing an essay on Lennie, you could model a paragraph on Crooks. I don't know how you're getting on with the rest of the course, but our department are feeling pressured so we're just giving titles and getting them to plan but not getting them to write other essays.
    You can't give them a plan or do any work on the essay, but you can model planning with other titles. I'm sure there's some stuff on OMAM on Teachit that shows how to improve paragraphs but I think it's better to write you own based on classwork.

3. Where is the Band 5 mark scheme? I'm looking for what they need to do to achieve A*.

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

There are no grades available - so you are searching for the impossible. You can only be certain of an A* if a pupil gets full marks. The scheme is in the spec.

5. Sorry, perhaps I'm not being clear.
    I'm looking for an account of how the assessment is made.
    Usually you get a list so for music performance you might get
    c can read the score competently
    b can read the score accurately with no errors
    a can read the score accurately with no errors and inject emotional content into the piece
    I'm looking for the equivalent for English language extended reading.
    All I have at present is that full marks = 30.
    Thanks

6. Found the assessment criteria in the accredited spec. I was looking in the wrong places.
    Thanks for your responses.