1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE English ideas

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by german_1, Jun 17, 2019.

1. german_1

german_1 New commenter

I am about to start tutoring a boy who is in Year 10 for English. I have tutored before but that has all been primary (trained in primary) so I am after some advice where to start? His mum said he is lazy and needs help with both language and lit.
    Any ideas where to start to see what he needs most help with?

Thanks

2. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I can't help with ideas on English as I tutor maths and science. However, if a parent tells me the main problem is that their child is lazy, I usually reply "there's not much I can do about that" and politely decline.

3. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Find out which board he is studying, download the spec and exam papers, and read the literature texts. Make sure you are totally confident of the exam style and read all of the markschemes and exam reports. Do this before you go much further, to make sure you're aware of what he needs to do, and that it is feasible, and not more time-consuming than it's worth! Get him to do a past paper question and mark it, to see where he needs the most help.

Be aware that if he's lazy, he may not work much for you either (I've had one of those this year) and that he may not get the grade he's after. I always keep them informed if their kids aren't working for me, as otherwise, come the summer results, they're wondering why they got a tutor only for their little darling to get s0d all!

4. rrussellwilliams

rrussellwilliams New commenter

5. rrussellwilliams

rrussellwilliams New commenter