1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE English ideas

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by german_1, Jun 17, 2019.

1. german_1

german_1 New commenter

I am about to start tutoring a boy who is in Year 10 for English. I have tutored before but that has all been primary (trained in primary) so I am after some advice where to start? His mum said he is lazy and needs help with both language and lit.
    Any ideas where to start to see what he needs most help with?

Thanks

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I can't help with ideas on English as I tutor maths and science. However, if a parent tells me the main problem is that their child is lazy, I usually reply "there's not much I can do about that" and politely decline.

3. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Find out which board he is studying, download the spec and exam papers, and read the literature texts. Make sure you are totally confident of the exam style and read all of the markschemes and exam reports. Do this before you go much further, to make sure you're aware of what he needs to do, and that it is feasible, and not more time-consuming than it's worth! Get him to do a past paper question and mark it, to see where he needs the most help.

Be aware that if he's lazy, he may not work much for you either (I've had one of those this year) and that he may not get the grade he's after. I always keep them informed if their kids aren't working for me, as otherwise, come the summer results, they're wondering why they got a tutor only for their little darling to get s0d all!

4. rrussellwilliams

rrussellwilliams New commenter

5. rrussellwilliams

rrussellwilliams New commenter

suzette likes this.
  6. Bolter

Bolter New commenter

Bit shocked you’ve taken this on. Does his mum know you have no idea what you are doing (yet) ?

Top priority would be learning the Lit texts, if you taught upper primary you will have some great tools for language to build on and repackage . . If you are prepared to work on yourself, take the good advice and be crystal clear on exam spec then good luck.

7. suzette

suzette New commenter

I would agree with all that have commented on here. You will have to be completely confident in the texts to be able to tutor someone else in them. The English Lang exams are fairly straightforward, however whatever exam board he is doing the GCSE's with, will mean you will have to be familiar with Shakespeare plays (Eg: AQA could be Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet etc). You will have to learn quotes (so you can get them to learn them/or you can explain what they mean). Generally the English Lit needs a tutor that can explain/tutor the students in the texts well. Make sure you also know the 9-1 grading system well, so you can explain what the student needs to get a high grade/or get their grade to a standard pass.

Perhaps you may want to explain to mum what your experience is but you are happy to take him on. I think candor is best, so they know from the beginning & both you & your student can perhaps 'grow & progress' together.

Finally to motivate a 'lazy' secondary school student requires a lot of chutzpah, boldness and enthusiasm to be able to lift them into a mindset where they are doing the work and are less 'lazy' especially when tutoring them in such a challenging GCSE subject. I'm not sure whether I would take on a knowingly 'lazy' student for my first forage into a GCSE subject that I didn't know well, but good luck with it all and let us know how it pans out.

8. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Do u need help with maths resources

9. lisacoy455

lisacoy455 New commenter

Oh thanks for this thread. I am about to take on a 10th year student soon too.
    The resources mentioned here will definitely be helpful. Thanks folks!