1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE English courses

Discussion in 'English' started by anthlwat, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hi
    We're thinking about moving away from Edexcel after another round of unpredicted results for lang 2. Has anyone got any positives about the GCSE courses offered by the other boards?
    Thanks

2. Hi
    We're thinking about moving away from Edexcel after another round of unpredicted results for lang 2. Has anyone got any positives about the GCSE courses offered by the other boards?
    Thanks

3. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

We did aqa for the first year and moved to wjec for the second year and personally I haven't got a good word to say about either of them at the moment.

4. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Well, let's hear it for the OCR body, then!
    (Only saying that cos that's the body I do most work for and I want to keep busy. No, not just that - OCR had a bad time on the old specs for English/English Literature but it's really tried hard to address issues and deserves to get some of its old clientele back. I think.)

5. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Without being too harsh, we've had an absolute 'mare on the new OCR course for Lit (yet to submit any language) whereas we were doing fine on the old spec. We've had shifting goalposts, unclear expectations, poorly marked scripts and little to no help addressing 'issues'.
    I've booked onto two OCR courses for Lit which have been cancelled, although this week I received a CD from the board for the last course that was cancelled - in September! Our year 11s have just gone through another round of rubbish results (the 3rd time) which could potentially have been addressed had this course run or the CD been sent earlier.
    I suppose the only shining light is that the other exam boards seem to be as ridiculous too.