1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE English challenge for dyslexia/dyspraxic pupil

Discussion in 'English' started by angelmouse75, Feb 26, 2016.

1. angelmouse75

angelmouse75 New commenter

I'm really hoping someone can help, I'm at my wit's end and I'm not sure how to proceed.

I teach English in a Medical Referral Unit and have a Year 11 student. He has dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD and sensory integration difficulties. He came to us at the beginning of Year 11 having missed most of Year 10 - he had lost his only parent in Year 9 and then refused to engage.

He struggles with reading and writing at GCSE but has point blank refused Step Up or Functional skills - and he's far too bright to warrant those anyway so he's doing AQA igcse. But he's stuck. I've worked with him solidly for the past term and a half and he's made only slight progress. He finds it difficult to understand what a question is asking him and so he shuts down completely and gives up after Q1. A question such as 'explain how this poster makes the film seem scary' will be responded with 'it doesn't' and nothing more.
    I've suggested that he tries to do the writing section first to maximise his marks and have been teaching him to break down the writing questions to try and do some single word planning. He's a slow writer and it's barely legible but he's stubborn about using the computer either, even though I've shown him that it is faster. He doesn't like what he terms 'creative writing' so I'm encouraging him to choose the 'writing to explain' questions, where possible. I put myself through BDA dyslexia courses for some tips and I've been trying different planning methods with him but he's just 'stuck' when it comes to getting anything on paper independently and it breaks my heart because I want him to do well and can't accept that there's not something else I could be doing.

I'm hoping that someone with a little more experience than me, might be able to help. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

2. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

Has he been seeing an educational psychologist? If so a discussion would be helpful for teaching approaches. Your description of his behaviour also suggests he might have ASD. I would post this question on a special needs forum.

3. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

@angelmouse75 , as katykook suggests, you might want to try posting this in the Special Educational Needs forum, since you've had lots of views on both of your posts (in English and Behaviour) and very few responses but all of which identify potential ASD...