1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Edexcel Unit 2

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by crunchynut, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Does this sound ok...?? We filmed this morning and I'm now panicking.
    They briefly re-capped the final scene of Blood Brothers (discussion) and then, in groups, hot-seated the characters at the point immediately before the scene and discussed how they might use that in their exploration of the text.
    Then they looked at working on the scene focusing on using the hot-seating to inform choices.
    Then we added in the use of elements - they chose from contrast, climax/anti-climax and rhythm/pace/tempo - and they explored how that enhanced their exploration of the scene.
    Two out of three showed their work and we discussed how effectively they used elements and how the hot-seating had improved their understanding of the scene.

Does that sound ok? I did something similar last year and we weren't amended but I'm just conscious that there were periods which might be deemed to be 'rehearsal' and would this be an issue?
    I'm so stressed about Year 11 this year!

2. Does this sound ok...?? We filmed this morning and I'm now panicking.
    They briefly re-capped the final scene of Blood Brothers (discussion) and then, in groups, hot-seated the characters at the point immediately before the scene and discussed how they might use that in their exploration of the text.
    Then they looked at working on the scene focusing on using the hot-seating to inform choices.
    Then we added in the use of elements - they chose from contrast, climax/anti-climax and rhythm/pace/tempo - and they explored how that enhanced their exploration of the scene.
    Two out of three showed their work and we discussed how effectively they used elements and how the hot-seating had improved their understanding of the scene.

Does that sound ok? I did something similar last year and we weren't amended but I'm just conscious that there were periods which might be deemed to be 'rehearsal' and would this be an issue?
    I'm so stressed about Year 11 this year!

3. Rehearsal = decision-making process.
    If you know what they were discussing, the decisions they were making and the justifications they were giving, this would have provided you with lots of assessment evidence.
    As the Edxcel textbook says (for this play, coincidentally) students are "developing" their work. Not rehearsing.
    Any doubts, quote their own course book back at them (include it in your record of work) - "As suggested in the Edexcel GCSE Drama Student book, page 132 et al". It will be a brave moderator who marks you down for it.
    [​IMG]

4. Thank you, Resources. I've avoided using the word rehearsal with them and have referred to exploring the text instead.
    I feel so unsure, it's really nervewracking! I'm going on a course in a week or so, so I plan to ask a lot of questions!
    I'm also worried that the camera hasn't picked a lot of the incidental discussion up; although I've rotated the groups to work by the camera, I think the room overall is too noisy. I've tried to constantly refer to pupils by name to help and have written down things I've heard them say.
    I shall take your advice though and quote the textbook!
    Thanks again! :)

5. You have PM.

6. dande

dande New commenter

True. But what I think needs to be pointed out here, is that the record of work submitted should be exactly that - a record of work completed. Submitting a pre-published scheme as your record of work is not satisfactory. (Not that this is what the OP/R4D is proposing) However, same pre-published scheme with clear annotations can be submitted as this would show the work COMPLETED in the six hours.
    As for the task described by the OP then this sounds fine to me. It shows the exploration of the characters based on knowledge of the text. (Do you envisage them including Q & A in their notes?) They then apply this in exploring the scene itself. As always, I would say though it depends how much time is spent on actually hotseating the characters (as this can be interpreted as off-text).

7. To me that sounded fine !!!! I'm nervous too about Unit 2 as this is the one I got marked down on for the very first time EVER last year! i think I've cracked the practical work but I'm worried about the written - both the Documentary Response and the Review of Live Theatre. I was wondering; does anyone have top band or even excellent examples of Unit 2 coursework from last year to share with me? I can swap you some outstanding Unit 1 coursework in exchange........
    If you can help; please either email me on nwyllie@hotmail.co.uk or PM me with any advice.
    Cheers
    Nicky

8. I think there should be stuff on line. However, important point in the assessment criteria for the review: it has to be 'faultless' to get into the top band. So, any spelling, punctuation, grammar errors in it put it in band 2. That might be enough info to help you with the marking of the review piece.

9. Thanks everyone; that's really helpful. So nerve-wracking. I'll be asking on my course as well and hoping to get clarification. Such a worry. I know that I'll be ridiculously nervous before the results this year!

10. I've had a look online for "outstanding" reveiws and / or documentary responses but there's only examples which are primarily level two with elements of level one or words to that effect. What I am actually looking for is something which was moderated fully as a level one (outstanding) so I can see for myself if I am going along the right lines with my marking. If it's a mixture; then it's not as crystal clear as I am looking for.
    I just don't want my students this year to have their marks slashed....... I am aware of the word "faultless" and I've been pushing that with students asking them to check over their work carefully before submission; when they say they've finished, I ask them to check and double check for typos, spellings etc. Even if someone submits something that IS faultless spelling etc wise; I don't want to give it top band because a couple of my students did this last year and their marks were taken down so I'm soooooo confused.
    Arthur; if I send you the work I thought was "outstanding" last year; could you have a look at it and tell me WHY it didn't get the outstanding band please?
    *sigh"
    Nicky

11. dande

dande New commenter

Hi nwylie
    Have you tried contacting the board. I know they were looking to try and develop more of a range of material but this can be difficult as permissions need to be sought from students.
    What you do need to remember in relation to the marks is the mark boundaries. Does it matter if you do not award full (almost full) marks as long as the students get the grade they deserve?
    I don't know about you but I have always found it difficult to award full marks. I think there are others out there the same. At the same time, some centres seem to bandy around full marks like sweets in the playground.

12. I have contacted the board twice in regards to this and been told twice now that they intend to add top band work.
    I was also told, however, that only a small percentage of the cohort get band 1 so exemplar material is limited... but I do think it is their responsiblity. Fellow English friends at school are doing c/wk moderation at the moment and have a range of candigates/grades. I, for one, would be happy to have this more rigorous standardisation ..if it meant that we were all marking to the same standard with stronger guidelines from the board
    In response to Dande -think maybe there would be less top bands bandied about if teachers got to see a real band one!!
    I think the examples are generally quite poor (lets face it they were written 2 years ago) and I suppose teachers think 'mine is better than that' and therefore go up a band
    I am too scared to go into band1 - never mind full marks!
    Think we are all worried this year

13. And the new level 1 is meant to be just that: scary territory where you go when students have produced work that exceeds the standard expected for GCSE. Full marks ought to be very difficult with the new assessment criteria.