1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Edexcel Unit 2: Documentary Evidence

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by mitchso, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi All
    Hope you can help me, as I thought as a centre we were heading in the right direction, but a closer read of examplar materials, and the spec suggests we may not be...
    <u>Unit 2</u>
    Is this a reflection on a selection of strategies used within the exploration? Do students then discuss their understanding of the play, playwrights intentions - referring to the context of play, then how the use of mediums and elements aid their interpretation. Peppered throughout evaluation of own and others work from within the group?
    This has quickly turned into a list of questions, but we are so keen to get this difference correct (as we all will be).
    <u>Any</u> thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    Mitch

2. Hi All
    Hope you can help me, as I thought as a centre we were heading in the right direction, but a closer read of examplar materials, and the spec suggests we may not be...
    <u>Unit 2</u>
    Is this a reflection on a selection of strategies used within the exploration? Do students then discuss their understanding of the play, playwrights intentions - referring to the context of play, then how the use of mediums and elements aid their interpretation. Peppered throughout evaluation of own and others work from within the group?
    This has quickly turned into a list of questions, but we are so keen to get this difference correct (as we all will be).
    <u>Any</u> thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    Mitch

3. I too am scared that i have missed the point - i have concentrated on an understanding of the play enhanced by the drama.. plus comments on the work of others.. particularly worried they are retelling too much instead of reflecting
    All in a 1000 words too......

4. When i went on the training back in October i was clueless as to what we were meant to be focusing on, something that i took away from it is the question 'what do they know now about the style, form, playwright, characters, themes, plot, etc that they didn't know before doing the workshop or exercise/activity? i have also developed a format for each paragraph in their doc evidence of
    o What you did (a brief description of the activity and your role within it);
    o How & why you did it (describe how using lots of drama words, depth and diagrams if useful. Also why you chose to do it that way);
    o Evaluate how successful you, your group and others were at the activity;
    o Analyse how the activity helped you understand the plot, characters, themes and messages of the play (WHAT DID YOU LEARN FROM THIS!)

it seems to be helping, but we wont have any ideas as to if this is the way forward until we get the results at the end of the year.

My mum has been teaching edexcel drama for years, but this new spec is making her question everything, we're all too scared to actually start marking the work in case its wrong, but time is running out!!!

hope this helps a bit

5. I'm worried now. I think mine is reflecting too much on their own practical work and perhaps not linking back to the text enough. It feels so stressful that the guidance is so limited til next year as I'm trying to predict what the kids might get and how to support them and I'm worried about the feeling that they are just 'guinea pigs'.

6. I feel the same! I am worried sick my A pupils will become victims off a vague mark scheme and a vague teacher!
    I hate the unpredictability of it all....

7. But I've done my controlled conditions! And it has taken huge amounts of effort to get forty students on laptops to finish 5000 words! And some haven't yet finished! I already know my kids haven't done their best work, but after reading this I'm really worried!
    I'm working to get as many marks for Unit 3 as possible. Is anybody doing the RAP? I've just started it, and I think it could help.
    Moving to AQA next year, I've been to a standardising course, and I've been in contact with my moderator and coursework advisor. They all seem so friendly and nice. Could be the way forward?

8. Feel the same! :( So worried about higher grade kids who may then opt not to take it at A level.

9. Probably being thick (been a long day - just in from school!) but what is RAP? I'm hoping Unit 3 will go well but had a shocking examiner last year so don't even feel great about that!

10. I don't know if I've got the acronym right, but it's basically a traffic light system. I've taken all the strands of the assessment criteria for Unit 3, put it on a spread sheet against the names of all my students, and colour-coded each one with either red, orange or green, depending on whether the student is already OK with that particular aspect, or not. So all the different bits in the Voice and Movement, Roles and Characterisation etc, are looked at individually.
    This year, examiners have to give separate marks for each of the assessment strands, so we'll be looking more closely at the various bits, eg. in Voice and Movement there are specific references to Pitch/Pace/Tone etc.
    What we've been asked to do is hand each student a card during lessons with a specific strand on, so they know they need to focus on building up their skills in that area. As they improve on that strand I'll change the colour from red to orange to green. Eventually all students will be green on everything and they'll all get A*! Hurrah. Job done.
    Obviously I have no life. But if this is a way of dealing with inconsistency with EdExcel examiners I'm up for the challenge.
    Not good reading for a Friday night, I know.
    Thanks again for your help re post 18 courses.

11. That sounds amazingly thorough -I am very impressed
    Have you an example of the 'card' or spreadsheet that you could share as an exemplar
    My students are not yet at the stage where I can clearly assess some aspects as they only have about 5 mins of their final piece ready so far
    Are you suggesting they change their piece at all if it does not allow them to access green??
    I am worried that some of mine are so bogged down by the overal devising process that they are sacraficing their characters (scripted ones are clearer)
    Plus how are you breaking down the final sections that are a much more vague and less specific in terms of dividing into strands??
    Sorry to ask you so many questions but you seem to know what you are talking about!
    thanks

12. They will give separate marks for Voice, Characterisation etc the same as always (the categories have changed slightly), but will not give separate marks for the "strands" such as Pitch/ Pace / Tone. These will, of course, be taken into account in the overall mark for the category.

13. Yes, you're right of course. Marks are given for the categories, but the way I'm thinking is to try to give the examiner as many opportunities to award marks as possible. EdExcel always says examiners award marks rather than take marks off. So for my students if I break each category down into exactly what the examiner is looking for, I hopefully maximise each student's chance of gaining marks.
    Rentonave - I'm just starting the process myself, and I was half-serious by suggesting that I'll get all my students to green by exam day. I think that by using this system I'm getting the students to constantly refer to the assessment criteria, certainly in more depth than before. I don't have the ICT skills to send an example of the spreadsheet, but it's really simple. It has to be, otherwise I couldn't attempt it. I listed all the separate criteria strands from the spec, put those into the column headings, then listed all my students down the left-hand side. The first draft of the spreadsheet is a gut feeling, such as, is this student confident about the use of pace? So, for more able students who have a sense of timing and control, that square would be green. If the student can demonstrate use of pace, but doesn''t always, it's orange.
    I'll give a student a card each lesson with a strand highlighted. If the student shows confidence in using that strand, I'll tick the box, change the colour to green and move on to the next strand.
    I'm not advocating this as the way forward, but it's really making me think about how each student can earn marks for this unit. And the way I'm thinking about the current situation, I need all the marks I can get. If you're interested, I'll let you know how it's going. And I'd be really interested to know if you think it works for you.

14. Thanks for all this folks.

My question is, I am about to start unit 3 this week and the students will have their texts to read over half term.

They will then have 7 weeks until teh exam date. The exam is 3 may. I'm now thinking, have I allowed enough time to create 20 minute performances? Eek. Reassurance would be good...

15. I'm sure you have left enough time. Keep referring to the assessment criteria. The way I'm thinking is it's not about developing a good performance, it's about giving the examiner as many opportunities to award marks as possible. Good luck.