1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE EdExcel Unit 2 Doc Response

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by poppycarew, Apr 11, 2011.

1. I'm very down about my students' Unit 2 written coursework, which I'm marking at the moment. I'm looking at the Play Text coursework, which is marked out of 10, and I'm giving 1s and 2s to students who should be doing much better.
    I'm quite happy to accept it's probably my poor teaching which has caused this, but from looking at the kids' work, it seems that they have struggled to meet the 1000 word deadline, and have cut out the in-depth analysis and evaluation. I don't know how I can get these marks up before the May 15th deadline, especially with the shortened weeks coming up next term.
    I don't expect any sympathy, but I'd be a bit reassured if anyone out there is in the same position.

2. I'm very down about my students' Unit 2 written coursework, which I'm marking at the moment. I'm looking at the Play Text coursework, which is marked out of 10, and I'm giving 1s and 2s to students who should be doing much better.
    I'm quite happy to accept it's probably my poor teaching which has caused this, but from looking at the kids' work, it seems that they have struggled to meet the 1000 word deadline, and have cut out the in-depth analysis and evaluation. I don't know how I can get these marks up before the May 15th deadline, especially with the shortened weeks coming up next term.
    I don't expect any sympathy, but I'd be a bit reassured if anyone out there is in the same position.

3. Have you had the same problems with the Unit 1 Documentary Response? Cos, for Unit 2, it's the same kind of things that are needed but the piece of work is shorter because there is the review of live performance piece of work. I suppose, that if your students can't evaluate what they have done, write about the strategies, elements and medium of drama they and their peers have used, then, there isn't much you can do. I've tried to address the issue by ensuring that students write approx 1000 words after every unit of work we do, so that they begin to get the right content before we actually do Unit 1 or 2.

4. Thanks all for responding. I've had lots of mugs of tea, and gin. It helps a lot to know I'm not the only one, and thanks ArthurDent for giving some good advice.

5. Arthur that's what I'm going to do with my current Y10s to get them into the habit. I think we all learn from the first go through (the board, the teachers, the pupils) but it's just worrying for this cohort. Fingers, toes and everything crossed and we'll find out in August!

6. I wrote to "ask the expert" about the 1000 WORDS limit - they gave no reason but said moderators will only mark 1000 words and there is some guidance in the spec how to keep it under 1000 . I am still looking for that guidance. My pupils had six rich hours of practical coursework and cannot reduce. Why should they compromise quality purely because of the new weighting. They have made a mistake here. Why not have 1500 each for live performance and doc response.?
    Good luck with marking.

7. I'm finding my most able are struggling to get under the word count or are writing about fewer activities in more detail, while the less able can't get near the word count. I never thought I'd say it but I miss the old Response, Development and Evaluation coursework!! Honestly, I thought this was going to be so much better! Ha! Maybe it still will be once it's 'refined'!

8. I can't find any guidance about keeping the word limit to under 1000. In the Getting Started Guide, there are examples of coursework with moderator comments. The samples all seem to be much longer in length than 1000 words.

9. Remember, it's a word LIMIT, so the less able won't get near it by dint of the fact they are less able. I shouldn't worry about it. And if the more able are writing about fewer activities in more detail and are evaluating what they and others did with the strategies, elements and medium of drama in the context of the play (and not just recounting what they did in lessons), they should hit Level 2 with the truly outstanding hitting Level 1. And yes, moderators have been told not to moderate beyond the word limit. Make sure you advise your students to cut any waffle and padding they might have.

10. I'm finding I can't get some of my kids out of Band 4. I think because of the word limit and controlled conditions, their work is definitely "adequate", but not "good". Is this happening to anyone else?

11. Not marked mine yet but dreading it!!

Zena - never thought we'd say that, eh?! It all seemed much easier. All I keep thinking is that it will make the transition from GCSE to AS easier...I've probably already said that on this thread - it's become my mantra!!

12. Unit 1 and Unit 2 are worth the same, so there can't be that much difference in what is required for each of the units. There has to be evaluation in Unit 2 and a review of live performance. 1500 for each might not do either justice. Because there are 2000 words for Unit 1, students show the majority of their skills at evaluating their own work and that of their peers in Unit 1 with a reprise, if you like, of the skills in Unit 2. the Review of live performance is, of course, no different from the old Evaluation for the old unit 2 of Paper 1 on 1699, so, whatever you used to do to assist students can be used in some way of other (within new CA guidelines) so it shouldn't be too difficult for any student to get their heads around. (That's how I see it. I'll compare it to the legacy WJEC English Literature exam. There are two pieces of poetry coursework and they ask students to spend just 30 minutes responding to a poem in the exam. Seems a bit strange to me but it's probably OfQual rules and, I suspect, OfQual have had a say in how the U2 controlled assessments are structured as well.) Of course, the old three task separation was handy and could still be applied to the new spec. Students do, afterall, need to write about what they did, what they thought of it and how the strategies, elements and medium of drama used created an effect. All of it is really evaluating. The CA is now more holistic than the old coursework tasks were AND with the word limit, it makes students focus their attention on the effect of what they did and what they learned from it and not simply narrating - well, it ought to for the more able and the outstanding.