1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Edexcel Qustion

Discussion in 'Music' started by cmf, Apr 23, 2011.

1. cmf

cmf

I will try to make this as easy as pos!! yea thats going to happen!
    Looking at the teacher guide which was free. 4 ring binder title Music for first teaching from 2009. I think its the same as the spec? Looking at marks given to performances and comps.
    Solo out of 30, ensemble out of 30 etc
    On page 68 and 69 it gives unit grades. Pg 68 Unit 1 A* = 81 is this a %
    Can anyone work out the grades for just scoring the piece before I pull all of my hair out. For example if a solo performance is worth 22/30, where would that fit just so I can feedback to the students where on the A*-G scale where they are at with that performance. Hope that makes sence! Thanks in advance, % were never my strong point!

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

No. A mark of 81 out of 90 is needed for an A*. But these are UMS marks, not raw marks.
    It's not really possible before the new syllabus is graded for the first time, which won't happen until July. I explained this in post 5 of:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/483342/6692910.aspx#6692910
    If the examiners determine that a mark of 50/60 is the minimum required for a Grade A in the performing unit, this will equate to a UMS mark of 72/90 (using the page that you quoted). If they determine that a mark of 55/60 is the minimum required for A*, that will equate to 81/90 UMS marks.
    There is no way of telling how the raw marks will equate to the UMS marks published in the specification until after the work has been marked.
    The only other thing I would say is that Controlled Assessment is likely to have less impact on the marks for performing than composition, so I doubt that the raw grade boundaries will be greatly different to those in previous years.
    Hope that helps!