1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Edexcel Listening Exam

Discussion in 'Music' started by linber, May 17, 2011.

1. linber

linber New commenter

My pupils thought it was easy, and the questions they told me about were simple! Very relieved ...

2. linber

linber New commenter

Longer questions were about Buckley and Chopin. Set works not asked about were Rag Desh and Electric Counterpoint.

3. I also thought the paper was very straight forward. Having only switched to Edexcel this year, i had no real idea what to expect and so was praying i had taught the kids the right stuff! I sat the exam along with them and really thought it was great! The questions could have been answered even if some of the set works had not even been studied in great detail. The essay question on the Chopin was a favourite amongst my students (and me!) and i am hopeful that they all did ok.
    Does anyone else think that the information in the text books about each set work is in far too much detail? I did the basics with my classes - date, composer, style, key, structure, chords, texture, dynamics, how to recognise sections etc and it was exactly that stuff that they were asked about.
    I feel no need to go into massive detail with them as they just get over-loaded and panic!

4. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

(I hope I'm not jinxing our results here, but) I thought it was a ridiculously easy exam to be honest.

5. Do you think that as it was the first year of the new syllabus that it was easy to ensure no one complained about it?!?

6. musicismyreligion

musicismyreligion New commenter

]I wondered that too, it was fairly simple. I took over a class at the beginning of this year, of fairly average ability boys with ESL. They all thought it was very accessible, and I'm sure that's not solely down to my efficient teaching [​IMG]
    I thought the extracts chosen were nice ones too.. all in all, i'm keeping my fingers crossed, but i'm happy.

7. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

My lot were quite happy too. They were worried about Rag Desh so we revised it yesterday, but they were relieved it didn't come up. They love Electric Counterpoint so were disappointed! They also really liked Question 9 and 10. My classical musicans felt they knew more about the Chopin anyway and my guitarists (of which there are many) really connected with the Buckley.
    Overall I was happy, although one of my students commented that she could have answered a lot of the questions without even hearing the extracts.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The textbooks vary considerably. The CGP one is fine for weaker students, but doesn't present enough detail to get a good grade for the extended question in Section B.
    I thought Edexcel's own book (published by Peters) was a mess. Many inaccuracies and irrelevant points, very long and difficult to read.
    I like Rhinegold's book, especially in the way it deals with the difficult issue of style through visual images. But it is clearly aimed at the student hoping for a high grade, rather than those just hoping to scrape a pass.
    This must be a very difficult area for publishers. If they present the minimum, they are accused of encouraging "teaching to the exam", while if they include a little context and information about alternative approaches (as in the Rhinegold study guide), they are accused of providing too much detail. I bet they think they can't win!

9. Yes. I saw the paper and, well over 90% of the questions I could do without hearing a note of music. A bit odd for a music exam; basically it tests what you can learn/remember. Certainly repeating extracts 4 times with the excruciatingly long pauses in-between seemed completely pointless - I think even the weaker students would agree.

My lot had a roughly 50/50 split on the essay choices and, like others have said, found it all fairly straightforward.

Don't know whether to feel relieved that Indian Ragas never came up, or annoyed that I wasted precious time trying to instil some kind of understand and appreciation of them!

I was expecting the exam to be harder (so were my kids). In retrospect, I wish we had spend more time on the coursework and less on the exam.

10. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Florian, I completely agree.

Personally I like to try and 'teach from the top' so welcome a little more detail. Plus it prepares students better for progressing onto AS, should they wish to do so.

While I'm pleased that the students came out of the exam feeling very positive about it, I'm concerned about the standard required to be honest; it's left me feeling a little negative about the standard required for the GCSE now.

(Apologies if no paragraphs - google chrome).

11. Anyone have a spare copy of this paper? It would be great for a mock exam. We're introducing GCSE music next year.