1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Edexcel Linear November 2011 results

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by jnnyrut79, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Did anybody else find that the foundation paper results were very low? Asked a few schools and the results for Higher seemed fine, but foundation much lower than expected. Wondering if a common theme...

2. Did anybody else find that the foundation paper results were very low? Asked a few schools and the results for Higher seemed fine, but foundation much lower than expected. Wondering if a common theme...

3. DM

DM New commenter

How could the results for Higher NOT be fine with a 23.5% C grade boundary?

4. To be honest hadnt really looked at higher. Was worried about the foundation.

5. even with a grade C being at 129 on Foundation tier - i agree

6. from 4 schools I can count on one hand the number of kids that achieved a grade C in the foundation paper. I Just don't understand it!

7. pencho

pencho New commenter

I agree with this and so does the head of maths at another local school. In ours its almost like the grades as 1 grade lower than where we thought they would be. Interesting now that 3 schools have made this comment. Might ask for one to be remarked.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We did very well with our Cs on Foundation then. We had 12 which was reasonable.
    Below that we did end up with a lot less Ds and a lot more Es than we expected.

9. DM

DM New commenter

I have to ask - why are Foundation students being entered early? Is it just to give them two (or three) bites at the cherry? I honestly don't know how you can afford it.

10. My son is in year 11 at a large secondary school. He sat the second unit in November and the whole year group are having their results queried so they haven't been issued to any of the students. (Parents haven't actually been told this of course!)

11. Anybody know what AQA unit 1 results were like?

12. pencho

pencho New commenter

civilgirl. Interesting comment you make.
    It's weird that a thread has started about this and a number of schools are making these comments.
    Interesting that 62% of modular candidates got a C in November, whereas only 43% of linear students got a C.

13. How could the results for Higher NOT be fine with a 23.5% C grade boundary?
    I think you should be considering the content of the paper not the percentage to get a C grade.
    I would always consider entering students for the higher paper if their target grade is C. After all before the two tier papers, they would have been entered for an Intermediate paper. Students should not have to keep proving they can do the 'basic stuff' over and over again! How demoralising is that for them? They need to feel that they are making progress. And if you analysed the papers over a period of time you may find that previously correctly answered questions are subsequently incorrect.
    Stop thinking about the A*-C and league tables and start thinking about the confidence and growth of the students.
    I once entered Y10 who had achieved Level 6 at KS3 for the GCSE in summer of Year 10. Many achieved a C grade. It was the learning style that I was using with them that made them so successfull not necessarily the maths they had learnt. I was so proud of them. I always used problem solving and rich tasks to generate greater interest and cross strand links.

14. DM

DM New commenter

No thanks. I prefer to be mindful of the fact that in another few years we will entrust the formative mathematical education of our young children to a generation of Primary School teachers who were themselves unable to access three quarters of a simple mathematics test.

15. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

No DM, we now have the best teachers we have ever had according to Gove. Perhaps that explains when I moved on, the advert for my replacement failed to attract a single query the first time round. Nobody was interested in teaching A level Maths and Further Maths and Open Scholarship Maths in a rural comprehensive on the basic scale.

16. DM

DM New commenter

I thought we were all rubbish and needed to be sacked within one term?