1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Edexcel Drama Unit 3

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by gilks1984, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I'm about to start work on our Unit 3: Drama Performance. Just wondering if anyone can help me with the following:

--> The specification states that I should receive an assignment brief to help me guide the students. When/how should I receive this? Am I ok to set my own stimulus with the students now and get them working on it?
    --> Do I have to contact an external examiner or will they contact me?

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Hi all,

I'm about to start work on our Unit 3: Drama Performance. Just wondering if anyone can help me with the following:

--> The specification states that I should receive an assignment brief to help me guide the students. When/how should I receive this? Am I ok to set my own stimulus with the students now and get them working on it?
    --> Do I have to contact an external examiner or will they contact me?

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

3. The assignment brief is basically the topic of 'Change' which the students must reference in some way in their work. The general feeling is that pretty much anything can be linked to the theme so it won't restrict what they do in any way.
    The external examiner will contact you, probably around the beginning of Feb but maybe earlier. You should only contact Edexcel if you haven't heard anything by then.
    Hope that helps!

4. Many thanks for that.

I finally found it.

Its all so confusing...all this paperwork etc.

How are you finding it?

5. Ohhh the paperwork...

6. Tell me about it..!! Whats it all about?!!?

7. Hello,
    I need some advice!
    I have chosen two Mark Wheeller Plays for my GCSE group to perfrom for unit 3.
    Dan Nolan - Missing - 5 students in group
    Hard to swallow - 6 students in group
    They both cover in my opinion change of circumstances.
    Would you recommend that i continue with these plays or could you provide other recommendations?

Thank you

8. Those choices are both fine, as in all honesty anything can fulfil the assignment brief. The example given in the pilot was, for the theme of loss, The Importance of Being Earnest (loss of a handbag - yes they actually say that!). The key is that the students will need to explain how their performance is linked to the topic of change. I am doing devised with mine, and will use it as a starting point. If I were you I would start off the process with a discussion about change, whether it is changing characters as an actor (one example given by Edexcel is Bouncers) or the issue of change in a more holistic manner. Keep asking students how change links to their performance so they are able to explain this in the DR3 forms.

9. Those sound fine! :)

10. Sorry, so we have to select plays (if we're not devising) that somehow link to 'change' for the unit 3 assessment? I take it that the short written submission that the students need to do is about how they have linked the idea of 'change' to their playscripts.

For the record, my class are doing:
    bouncers
    shakers
    grimmtales

can the theme of change therefore be that they are playing multiple roles?

cheers.

11. Perfect - Bounders is given as an about changing roles. They will just have to write a bit about how they have changed characters on one of the d3 forms. Good luck :)