1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE dance

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by HenVau, Aug 1, 2011.

1. I'm a pupil but I hope it's ok to post here. This is also about dance but I don't think there's a dance forum, so I hope this is ok as well.

I wanted some advice about GCSE dance. I'm choosing my options next year and I'd like to do dance but I'm a bit worried. I've looked at a lot of videos of the set dance and a lot of girls in the videos are wearing really short shorts and vests. I have horribele eczema on my thighs and across my tummy and I don't want peopole to see it. If I had to wear little shorts or a leotard I don't think I'd want to do dance. So is it compulsory to wear certain things? Thanks.

2. I'm a pupil but I hope it's ok to post here. This is also about dance but I don't think there's a dance forum, so I hope this is ok as well.

I wanted some advice about GCSE dance. I'm choosing my options next year and I'd like to do dance but I'm a bit worried. I've looked at a lot of videos of the set dance and a lot of girls in the videos are wearing really short shorts and vests. I have horribele eczema on my thighs and across my tummy and I don't want peopole to see it. If I had to wear little shorts or a leotard I don't think I'd want to do dance. So is it compulsory to wear certain things? Thanks.

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

None of my students wear any kit that would reveal their thighs or tummies as it would actually be against their religion to do so (even Egyptian 'belly dancers' have a mesh hiding their tummies!) I can't imagine any course demanding that you wear anything 'revealing'
    Have a chat with your PE teacher or if you know what exam board, try to find out their telephone number / email address and speak to someone there
    Hope that helps and good luck with your options

4. Thanks! I didn't think I'd have to show my tummy but just wanted to let people know how spread my eczema is. Do your pupils wear longer shorts or leggins? Don't the exam boards say what you must wear?

5. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

As far as I can tell, the clothing only has to be 'dance appropriate'
    My girls tend to wear one piece leotards for dance
    For their PE lessons, they wear the standard school PE kit - shorts down to the knees and T-shirt.
    The more conservative girls also wear leggings and some wear a special swimming costume called a 'burkini' for their swimming lessons

6. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Look at some of the other videos that are down the side of the 2 examples you list and you'll see a variety of outfits being used that don't show tummy or thighs
    1st video. Would anything have been taken away from the dance if one (or all) of the dancers wore footless tights?
    The 2nd one you posted made me laugh as she looks like she picked up her little sister's kit bag by mistake and some evil PE teacher made her get on with it! Not that I'd do that, of course!

7. I'm sure you're right, thanks so much for your help. I'm moving schools this summer so I can't ask my teachers yet. It's just that after having my eczema for a few years and having to deal with some nasty comments I get really nervous about showing my legs.

I know that lots of videos show leggings and trousers, I guess I just focussed on the bad ones especially the second one. Her shorts are tiny and I'd die if I had to wear anything that small! I hope my new school doesn't make me wear anything that tiny.

8. I now know a bit more about my new school. It seems that even in Yr9 we have to wear leotards for dance and gymnastics, so it looks like we'd have to do the same for GCSE. I'm now really worried about PE in a few weeks time because my eczema is really bad right now all over my thighs and I really don't want to have to wear a leotard!

9. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

First of all, don't panic!
    You need to speak to your PE teacher / Head of PE / Head of Year and explain your situation
    It might help if you can get a note from your doctor
    Any school / teacher worth their salt will be sympathetic
    If they know that you want to take dance as one of your options, then they should realise that you are not someone just making up an excuse to get out of PE

10. You're right I shouldn't panic! I've spoken to my mum who is going to get in touch with the school. If I can wear something to cover the top of my legs that doesn't make my eczema worse I'll be ok, but I think a leotard will be pretty embarrassing anyway. Do your students wear them, bigfatgit?

11. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

As I teach in Egypt, 90% of my students are Muslim. This means that they are required to be 'modestly dressed at all times'
    During mixed PE lessons, the girls wear the same kit as the boys - T-shirt and shorts but quite a few of them wear long sleeves underneath their T-shirts or leggings under their shorts. We also have a tracksuit for 'winter' (12 - 20 degrees temperature)
    For girls only lessons, they can wear their normal PE kit or some of them will wear leotards (normal or long leg) for dance and aerobics. For swimming lessons, we ask them to wear a 'one-piece' costume so some wear 'normal' Speedo type costumes, although some will wear shorts over them, others wear the same but wear a T-shirt as well and the very conservative girls wear what is called a burkhini (everything covered except hand, feet and face)
    Our girls who compete internationally at gymnastics wear normal leotards but I've seen photos of the team and some of the other girls wear long sleeve / leg leotards
    It shouldn't be a problem for you to wear something suitable and I'm sure your mum will get it sorted

12. Wow, I didn't know you were in Egypt! Isn't it funny swimming in a t-shirt? We did swimming in pyjamas last year and Ithat was very strange!
    Thanks for helping me with this. It probably seems silly to people but it's really bothering me. My mum has bought my leotard and I've tried it on. My eczema is really obvious and the leotard is light blue so my red blotches show up really clearly. To be honest a leotard is just pretty embarrassing!

13. I've just finished my second week at my new school. We've had PE and dance twice and I've had to wear my leotard each time. My exzema's not too bad at the moment but my thighs are dry and flaking, with a few red patches. I feel so exposed it's horrible. Do you think I should ask mum to write to my PE teacher and ask if I can wear shorts? But I might look out of place then.

14. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Sorry, I didn't see your latest post
    Get your mum into school with a doctor's note as soon as possible
    If one of my staff made a student do this, I would expect the mother to be kicking my door down!
    If you had Muslim girls in your class and they were conservative, they would not be expected to wear just a leotard - they would be allowed to wear leggings. If it's possible for them then it has to be acceptable for someone with a genuine medical excuse.
    If the PE teacher doesn't agree, get your mum to speak to the Head of PE, if the Head of PE doesn't agree, mum speaks to Head of Year etc. You keep going until it's sorted
    Let me know how you get on

15. Thanks for replying to my last message. I've had PE and dance again twice this week and I've worn just my leotard again. I didn't ask about wearing my gym skirt. I'm going to ask my mum to talk to my PE teacher though, so thanks for the idea. I don't think leggings would help me because my skin would get hot and irritated and I need bare skin but want something that means people don't see my thighs. It's on my thighs that it's bad at the moment but I've got some on my tummy and chest too, and there's also some on my feet. If the eczema on my feet gets bad do you think I'd be allowed to wear trainers for gymnastics and dance rather than bare feet?

Thanks for reading this and helping.

16. Things were ok last week, when we did gymnastics and dance in the gym. My skin was pretty calm and I felt good for the fist time. But over the weekend my eczema came back really bad and I've got horible red patches from my thighs up to my chest, and on my ankles and the top of my feet.
    I'm really stuck about what to do because covering up with leggings or cycling shorts makes me hotter and more irritated, which is how my tummy and chest gets. My bare thighs make me feel really exposed though, but I'm actually pretty happy about bare feet at the moment. I've asked my PE teacher if I ca wear s skirt and she's been nice about it but said that it's dangerous on the apparatus and the ropes.

17. I thought I'd come on here again and post an update. I'm still having to do gymnastics and dance in just my leotard but it's been better than I thouight because no-one has been nasty about my eczema. I guess I'm just getting used to wearing something that is a bit smaller than what I'd normally be seen in.
    This week we've done cross country for the first time. My eczema on my thights wasn't too bad but it was raining all lesson and we all got pretty muddy too, and it made everything flare up again. Now I'm dreading gymnastics tomorrow!

18. It's the end of term and I'm getting used to doing PE inside and people seeing my eczema but I still don't like it. It gets worse when we get wet, cold and muddy outside doing cross country or rugby and then when I have gymnastics or dance the next day my whole thighs are red and angry. I guess I'll just live with it though, so thanks to people here for helping me come to terms with it.

19. Me again! I thought I'd come back and let people know what's happened. Well I've done the last year of gymnastics and dance in PE in a leotard and it's been ok overall. Sometimes my skin looks horrible and so red, but I'm dealing with it pretty well. I did choose dance for my GCSE options so now I'm kind of looking forward to my first GCSE lesson - for GCSE we wear clack leotards which are a bit more grown up than our normal PE ones, but they are the ones with spaghetti straps.We'll be doing a bit of ballet but my teacher's agreed I can do it with bare legs not tights, and for everything else we'll all be in our bare legs and bare feet anyway. Thanks again for everyone's help with this!