1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE crunchtime

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by ian666, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Hello-looking for a bit of advice-
    Going to a new school as HoD and they've had a mixed bag with GCSE results.
    Should I let things sit for a year or change immediately. No one really sure how it will turn out resultswise this September.
    Thanks.

2. Hello-looking for a bit of advice-
    Going to a new school as HoD and they've had a mixed bag with GCSE results.
    Should I let things sit for a year or change immediately. No one really sure how it will turn out resultswise this September.
    Thanks.

3. If you are new, you are going to need twelve months to know the lie of the land in your new school and the faculty. I'd be inclined to go in and make it clear that things are going to change. You have a term and a bit to work with your Y11, so somethings can be trialled and discussion about how to improve standards and results can be a standing item on your faculty meeting agenda - near the top so it doesn't get squeezed for time - and in your meetings with your line manager. It also means you can open the idea of changing exam boards this year with a view to implementing it twelve months down the line if needs be.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Whilst drastic change should wait until you know what the main strengths and weaknesses of the department / school are there may be some things that can be altered on arrival based on feedback from the results e.g. problems with controlled assessment, areas of weakness identified by use of Exams Results Analysis etc.

5. September

September New commenter

Keep Year 7-10 running the same. Review the Yr 11 data asap. Interview Yr 11 students and find out what they need. What you do with Yr 11 will have an impact on all the students in the school. Yr 11 will talk about what you do for them.Let your 2ic if you have one fill you in on how things have been done with Yr 7-11.
    I got all the students in the school to do a What Works Well, Even Better If exercise in their 1st lesson. It only takes 10 minutes. My subject is maths and I did read all 1000+ of the comments. It can be a real eye opener to what happens in the department.
    Good luck. Being a HOD is not easy but the challenge is well worth it.

6. Thankyou.
    That was very helpful and much appreciated.

7. Thankyou very much for that.

8. As an experienced HOD now in my 3rd school I'd say change year 7 to the curriculum you want, and also changed the year 10.
    Year 10 need a good foundation, running it for a year and finding out why they haven't been successful means you have to stress in their year 11, get year 10 sorted, these will be the first set of results you are responsible for in full.
    Get your year 7 off to the best possible start, by the time they are in year 11, this is when you can truly judge your full impact as HOD.
    Year 11's quickly evaluate and then get cracking the whip, at worst you need to improve at least 10% on this years results! You can't be seen to dip!