1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Course

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by robwilkinsafc, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Im looking for a GCSE in ICT for those in the lower end of my core students (sets 4-9), I would prefer something purely coursework which isn’t OCR Nationals (long story…!)
    <font size="3" face="Calibri">I get them for 1 hr a week and will complete the course over 2 years.</font> <font size="3" face="Calibri">Any recommendations??</font> Cheers

2. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

OCR Nationals is what I would suggest for the lower ability for a full GCSE. Otherwise maybe a ECDL would be more suitable. It would still give them a well thought of qualification.
    Their is a new Edexcel course started in ICT but I would not suggest this for the lower ability as it is controlled assessment and they would not be able to receive the support they need.

3. I'm not sure who thinks well of ECDL, I certainly wouldn't want to put students through if I could help it. Creative iMedia might be a route but on 1 hour a week you're being hard done by and I really do begrudge this 'lets get them an award in no time and with a minimum of work' idea. I appreciate the value for money in terms of results, but I'm really not convinced in the value for money in terms of actually learning anything. Hey ho, it's an old rant now and the regs here are all very familiar with it.