1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Course for core ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by alilou, Mar 12, 2012.

1. We currently have 1 hour a fortnight for core ICT and are expected to deliver a GCSE course in this time over three years (well 2 1/2 years now!). What do other schools do and what is workable in this timeframe. Many thanks for any advice.

2. We currently have 1 hour a fortnight for core ICT and are expected to deliver a GCSE course in this time over three years (well 2 1/2 years now!). What do other schools do and what is workable in this timeframe. Many thanks for any advice.

3. danlee

danlee New commenter

We have the same problem. Just had OCR in and we are struggling on one lesson per week. Had a look at other courses but most of them need too many GLHs and we don't want to go down the half gcse route.

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Has to be GCSE? If not go Cambridge Nationals / BTEC route.

5. We were going to go with OCR but the exam results that have just been released seem shocking.

6. That's because they are shocking.

7. I know this is a bit of a silly question, perhaps my maths is wrong here:

You have approximately 50 hours of discrete ICT over KS4; and you're asking which course, designed to take 120 GLH - give or take a few hours - would be most appropriate?

I know the constraints you're working under won't be your doing, but surely TPTB can see that they are asking for the impossible? Or are all subjects taught in under half the recommended time at KS4 at your school?

What do you offer your students as an ICT/Computing option at KS5? What could you do in those 50 hours that would best prepare them for that?

No-one has mentioned ITQ yet - would a few modules of that, coupled with a foundation course to introduce key concepts they will need to appreciate for your KS5 course, satisfy your SLT's requirements?

8. I agree they are shocking. I have students who are getting A*s - Bs in most other subjects but in ICT they are on C-Es. It is a difficult GCSE for a lot of students and I wouldn't entertain just one hour per week. IMHO it's setting a lot of kids up to fail. On the plus side it is a fun GCSE to teach and most of the kids learn loads - they just struggle to retain and apply the sheer content.

9. One hour a week means that your students may well struggle to cover the syllabus or retain much of the knowledge and skills taught. Also an entire week could be lost by just recapping the last lesson, going over homework and introducing today's lesson.

We have 3hrs a fortnight in y9 and 2hr doubles in y10 and 11. All students also get a chance to take Level 2 Functional skills ICT (worth 1/2GCSE grade B)

10. Hi. The level of content for the GCSE ICT course (particularly with OCR as I've found) makes it prohibitive for all but the most committed, able students even as an option subject in years 10 and 11. I first ran the course as an all-ability option by default. Many students who chose the subject didn't do the necessary reading, research and homework to make up for a KS3 curriculum experience that left them under-prepared (this is as much an issue as the time allocation you originally asked about).
    The other critical aspect is the controlled assessment time - 20 hours of live task time sounds fine for each of the two expected for the OCR course. However, again I've had the task of up-skilling the students so as to keep on the right side of my morals where "medium control" is concerned. This also takes time.
    My advice? - take the Cambridge Nationals 1/2 over the time you've described. At least the ICT has some coverage in your curriculum and could aid students' long term employable skills.